Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a llc and for year 2022 i filed tax on march. I lost money for year 2022. Now i received a letter from IRS for late file tax. do i need to pay the penalty?

I lost $8k on 2022. Do you i need to pay the late filling fee even though i lost money?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have a llc and for year 2022 i filed tax on march. I lost money for year 2022. Now i received a letter from IRS for late file tax. do i need to pay the penalty?

you did not tell us why type of tax entity the LLC was. It could be a single-member LLC taxed as a disregarded entity- no return is filed so there would be no penalty. the activity is reported diredtly on your 1040. Or perhaps you elected partnership, S-Corp or C-Corp taxation.  an LLC that elects to be tax as a partnership, S-Corp or C-Corp has a return due date of 3/15 (calendar tax year). Other than for a C-Corp there are penalties of about $200/month for each month or fraction thereof that the return is filed late and that amount is multiplied by the number of members/partners/shareholders.  if this is your first time filing late send back the notice with a written request to abate penalties as this is the first time filing late. also a statement that says steps have been taken to ensure timely filing in the future helps.   the IRS has the final word    

S- Corp. Yes this is my first time. And I filed on 3/28 but the letter says two months delays and fined me $880. 

did you file by mail? it might not have been postmarked until April. Apparently there are two members/stockholders.   your choice is to pay the penalty, the loss is irrrelevant, or as previously stated write back requesting abatement. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies