turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tamenisha

I had to do a paper return due to issues with my AGI. It has been 6 weeks and I still have not received my refund and there is no info regarding it on the irs website or by calling in. What can I do t

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I had to do a paper return due to issues with my AGI. It has been 6 weeks and I still have not received my refund and there is no info regarding it on the irs website or by calling in. What can I do t

The IRS is not processing paper tax returns at this time.

See this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

The IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed   once processing centers are able to reopen.

In short, nothing.  It has been 11 weeks today that I filed by mail.  On March 2 I had to mail my return due to an IRS issue with a social security number.  I called and they admitted it was their issue and told me I couldn't efile so to file by mail.  Then corona hit and everyone at the IRS stopped working (on paper taxes at least) and taking phone calls.  Turbo Tax can't and won't help.  They now say I should have filed using certified mail (almost 3 months after the fact is a GREAT time to tell me that).  I literally have no idea if my return was even received.  I've been told it is probably sitting in a truck somewhere waiting for people to go back to work.  I definitely need my return.  But, I'm afraid it will realistically be Fall before I get it.   So frustrating.  

Back on March 9th I had to do a paper return due to issues with my wife's AGI. So after 7 days from sending my tax return I received my state tax refund but still did not get my federal tax refund. I literally have no idea if my federal return was even received I can't even check with IRS on that. Any suggestions for the next steps?????? 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Unfortunately, all you can do is keep checking the status and wait for the IRS to resume normal operations.  

The IRS is closed & they are not taking phone calls.  They are still processing e-filed returns & stimulus checks but they have been behind.

It is taking the IRS longer to process returns since they are closed.  They are still processing e-filed returns but the 21 days (business days) is not the standard now due to Covid-19.  The IRS is not processing mailed in returns at this time.

All you can do now is keep checking the IRS website, Where's My Refund, the website updates once a day.  

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To protect the public and employees, and in compliance with orders of local health authorities around the country, certain IRS services such as live assistance on telephones, processing paper tax returns and responding to correspondence are extremely limited or suspended until further notice. All Taxpayer Assistance Centers remain temporarily closed as are many volunteer tax preparation sites until further notice.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies