Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got a letter from Rita stating I didn't file my taxes for 2019 and 2020 when I surely did so with turbo tax now they want me to refill and charging me 300 in late fees

Why does rita want me to file when I file with turbo tax
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I got a letter from Rita stating I didn't file my taxes for 2019 and 2020 when I surely did so with turbo tax now they want me to refill and charging me 300 in late fees

Re-posted from @Hal_Al 

TurboTax (TT) does not automatically prepare a city return, you must initiate it. At the screen, in the Ohio program, titled 
 "A few things before we wrap up your state taxes"
      scroll down to Ohio City taxes. 
Or, later
"Your 2019 Ohio Taxes are ready for us to check"
    -Click Other situations
    -Scroll down to Ohio City taxes. 

TT cannot e-file an Ohio City or RITA return. It must be printed and mailed.

I actually find it easier to fill out a city return by hand or at the city, CCA or RITA web site, than to use TT. Things don't happen automatically and you need to know what you’re doing. The actual  RITA/city forms are easier to follow than the TT interview. 

Yes, TurboTax can be used to prepare a RITA return. But, it cannot be e-filed. It has to be printed and mailed. It is easier to fill out a city return by hand or at the city, CCA or RITA web site, than to use TT.

Contact your city tax office.  Explain that you thought TurboTax was sending the file and ask them to waive the penalty.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

If you don't have a form 37 (RITA), listed on your list of Ohio forms, you and TurboTax did not prepare a city return.  If you don't remember mailing a city/RITA return, you di not file one.

It's probably no consolation, but yours is a fairly common situation.

235 cities and 331 villages in Ohio have a municipal income tax (this is in addition to state and school district income tax).

There are 2 state wide agencies that  administer City Income taxes. One is CCA (Central Collection Agency) and the other, larger one, is RITA (Regional Income Tax Agency). There is a pull down list of cities, in Turbo Tax(TT), for both City Tax Forms (CCA) & RITA. TurboTax can only do RITA & CCA cities.  

But many  Ohio cities use neither agency. These cities design their own forms and require you to use them. Those cannot be done in TT. 

For a list of all Ohio cities with an income tax go to http://www.tax.ohio.gov/municipalities/municipal_income_tax_forms.aspx

From there, there is a link to each city’s web site and/or RITA / CCA

To find out if (or verify that) you live in a city (or school district ) with an income tax, enter your address at:

http://www.tax.ohio.gov/Individual/LocalTaxInformation.aspx

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies