turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my taxes with my 1095 a form since I receive a premium tax credit, but I realized I had 2 that covered different months and need to amend, but I don't know how.

I started a freelance writing side job, so apparently I changed my expected earnings on the healthcare website, so when I filed my taxes this year, I thought I only had a 1095 a that covered January through March. I use Turbotax because I don't understand any of this so I didn't question it. After I filed my taxes, I realized I had a second 1095 a form that covered April to December, however my taxes seem to have been accepted and I don't seem to have an option to amend or re-file. Does anyone know what to do in this situation?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

I filed my taxes with my 1095 a form since I receive a premium tax credit, but I realized I had 2 that covered different months and need to amend, but I don't know how.

If the IRS accepts your 2022 return, you will have to amend your return to add the additional 1099-A.  You will not want to make any changes or adjustments to the return while it is in pending status.  The IRS will first have to accept or reject the return.  

If your return is accepted, you will need to follow the following steps in TurboTax to amend the return:

1. Sign in to TurboTax
  2. On the home screen, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and select the year you want to amend
  3. Select Amend (change) return, then Amend using TurboTax Online
    • If you're told to amend your return via TurboTax Desktop, follow the steps for TurboTax CD/Download below instead
  4. On the screen OK, let's get a kickstart on your amended return, select the reason(s) you're amending and Continue
  5. When you reach Here's the info for your amended federal return, select Start next to the info you need to change
  6. Continue through the screens, make the changes you need to make, and carefully answer the remaining questions to finish amending your return

For more information on amending returns, see the link below:

How do I amend my federal tax return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Awesome, thank you so much.

If the return is accepted DO NOT amend the return until the IRS releases the original refund.  Wait until you have the money "in hand".  It is possible that the IRS may catch the error and send you a note to make the correction on the form 8962 and only send them that form ... amending will not be needed.  So again WAIT until the original return is fully processed by the IRS.

I'm actually not getting a refund. I ended up owing, though I'm hoping that this is largely because of my error. In this case, would I wait until the money I owe is taken out of my bank account?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, don't wait for the balance due amount to be debited from your account. With this said, the 1040X form will not be available until 2/23 so you won't be able to amend at this time. Meanwhile, the amount, in all probability, will be debited before that date. The IRS is efficient with their debits.

@buckycap13

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies