Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I edited my 202 taxes isntead of my 2021 and have no coy of the 202 and need them - what do I do - it was desktop verision

Hi -

I cant believe that I opened the wrong version of turbotax and started editing 202o taxes instead of 2021. I have other copy of 2020 (stupid I know)  and do not know what to do as I need it for many things. I have CD desktop version so it is only on my computer and  i saved the 202 with changes. I ahve no diea what to do as I need that and it msut match what was submitted to IRS. And to do 2021 must know the AGI - so the clock is ticking BUT more imprtantly I need the 202 taxes - what do I do?

TT comapres the numbes side by side but - does it pull them from the version I just changed in 2020 and not the origina version? Even so I need the original version of my taxes from 2020...this is what happnes when rushing...I was waiting fro info i needed and had thee done in april - and my chidlrens father never got me the info so im rushing last minute and now have no copy of my 2020 taxes.

Any advice?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

I edited my 202 taxes isntead of my 2021 and have no coy of the 202 and need them - what do I do - it was desktop verision

You have no other copy of your 2020 .tax file?

Can you undo the changes you made to your 2020 return and then import that file into your 2021 return?

Do you have a printed copy of your 2020 return?   If so, use it and just go to Forms mode in the 2020 software to make the corrections to get it back to the way it was before you accidentally changed things.   Then you can use it to transfer in to a new 2021 return.  Remember that the transfer of 2020 to 2021 has to be done at the very beginning before you enter any other new information for 2021.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

i dont think so - what do you mean import? I have a CD desktop version. So nohting is saved online.  And I dont even know what all the changes were that I made!

ughh

Thanks but I dont have a printed copy - 🙂 embrassed to say...and when yo say it gets trasnferred to 2021 at ebginning - I was working on 2021 so trasnfer was done  but I had beeen referring to my 2020 tt version and had that open as well and accidentally ewnt into that version and made changes..If I had a printed copy - I would be ok...I cant beleive I did that 

no printed copy 🙂

Will the 2021 version that I started then have the correct 2020 transfereed info if I started it befoer editing 2020 or does it take it right from teh changed 2020 version?

I did not say import.   I said transfer.   And....if you do not have a printed copy of your 2020 return my suggestion to use Forms mode will not help you.   Sorry.   If you do not know what your original 2020 return said, then you may be out of luck at this moment.   You might have to give up on fixing the 2020 return for now, and just start 2021 from scratch without transferring any 2020 information in, since you messed up your 2020 return.  Do you have the 2021 software?   If you cannot finish preparing the 2021 return tonight and e-file it by midnight then you will have to send it in by mail at a later time.   If you are getting a refund there is no penalty for missing the deadline.  

Later, when you are calm, and have time to deal with 2020, you can pay the IRS for a copy of your original 2020 return.

You can pay the IRS $43 for an actual copy of your tax return which will include copies of your W-2’s     

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Unless you can find another file ending in .tax2020 or a backup saved somewhere you are out of luck, sorry.   You can get a copy from the IRS but that might take time.  You can request a transcript from the IRS

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

By import they mean to Transfer 2020 into a new blank 2021 return to do 2021.

We are having a tough time understanding exactly what you did.   If you transferred the 2020 tax file in when you started the 2021 return, the 2020 data that you transferred to 2021 will remain just like it was.   All you did was mess up your 2020 return.   Go back to the 2021 return and finish preparing it.  The changes you made later to 2020 did not go to the new return.

Breathe......later.....later.....if you want to get a correct copy of your original 2020 return you can pay the IRS for a copy.   

Sorry I think someoen else said import  and I got mixed up. Yes I need to be calm. And I need the 2020 for other reasons - inlcuding possibly for my daughters loan forgiveness -but regardless I need copies.

I could go online and check IRS for AGI - so Iknow that to submit 2021 efile as the clock ticks I still need to decide to do that. I dont need to file as no refund but dont owe etiher. 

Thanks for the info to get the copy of the taxes from IRS. NJ has nothing online at all - have to fill out a form and get it that way. A hassle for me messing up. 

I cannot beleive that I do not have a copy as I have a hoarder house of paper and usually always printout multiple copies. nad usually I save copies on my comptuer - always - but the version I have I do not think is correct - it doesnt match the IRS online AGI. 

I am not very technical not even the basics.. (I should have an accountant!). How do I search for file ending in .tax2020 or a backup? 

Don't stress out over AGI.   If it is rejected for AGI just use zero.   That works for many people.

I started the 2021 taxes and it did the transfer. Im flipping around between my kids and mine and 2020 and 2021. So, I went to wrk on 2021 more and isntead went into the TT 2020 and changed that. So, I am ok iwth filling out 2021 although I wanted to cross refernce some things wtih 2020. 2021 does in some places comapre the two but  is it using the messed up 2020 versoin ....Also I am using all CD desktop versions. 

SoI guess I can do 2021 but I need 2020 for somethings and not sure if can get copy in time from IRS and I also need to get the state as I cahnged that too! And NJ also need to fill out a form. ALt time I filled out form for IRS - I got the stuff 9 months later!

I am stressed becuase I need my 2020 taxes for other things i.e loan debt forgiveness for my daguther and other proof of income using 2020....And I usually save EVERYTHING. Im uspet with myself. 

Andnot much time to finish 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies