Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn't receive my Federal Tax returns and IRS website doesn't recognize my credentials. I received both state returns without any issues.

Initial original filling1040 form shows XX amount, but after state tax amendment 1040X shows $0 has a refund. Do I get money or not.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I didn't receive my Federal Tax returns and IRS website doesn't recognize my credentials. I received both state returns without any issues.

The refund amount will revert to 0 (zero) on the amended federal tax return when first starting to amend the federal return.  If you did not file the the Form 1040-X then the IRS would only have the original 2020 federal tax return that was filed.

Assuming you e-filed the federal and state tax returns and you received the state tax refund, the federal return was Accepted by the IRS.  A state return cannot be e-filed if the federal return has not been e-filed or Accepted by the IRS.

The IRS website for federal tax refunds has had multiple glitches this tax year.  Your federal tax return may be between stages so is not showing any information.

Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  

If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions
If over 21 days since being Accepted by the IRS and the tax refund is still Processing you can call the IRS and speak with an IRS agent concerning your tax refund.
Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

Stop looking at the Refund-O-Meter which reset to zero when you started the amendment.  Making changes in the program without  efiling or mailing them in means the IRS knows nothing of them.  

Thank you for prompt reply.

I have e-file1040X on March 31st, 2021, it got accepted by IRS after a couple of hours. However, I didn’t receive a refund it’s almost 2 months. 

leedles
Returning Member

same....I filed July 5, 2021, amended return was "accepted by the IRS" electronically, today is Dec. 1, irs.gov says they don't have it.....

Accepted for processing is not the same thing as processed ... amended returns are taking 6 months or more to actually process so check the IRS site once a week until you see progress. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies