turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stevemoks

I did not qualify for the original stimulus but in 2020 do qualify, can I make a claim for the second stimulus amount via a refundable credit on my 2020 return?

My parents claimed me as a dependent in 2019, but I will file on my own in 2020 and my income will be below the threshold for receiving the second stimulus payment.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I did not qualify for the original stimulus but in 2020 do qualify, can I make a claim for the second stimulus amount via a refundable credit on my 2020 return?

@stevemoks - everything is based on the 2020 tax return - both your income and filing state.  Put 2018/2019 out of your mind....

If you are eligible, you would get both the 1st and 2nd stimulus payments on the 2020 tax return.

Just follow the questions at the END of the Turbotax interview section and what you want to watch for is the amount you are expecting ($1800?) appears on Line 30 of Form 1040.  Turbo tax has yet to program for the 2ned stimulus but we all hope it is there before the filing window opens in late January.  Suggestion is to have patience and have confidence the correct number is on Line 30 before hitting the 'send' button.

does that help? 

while you didn't provide enough detail, please note that if your parents CAN claim you, even if they don't, you are not eligible for the stimulus and must answer that way (like you did last year).  That stated, most that were students in 2019 and out on their own with a job now will be eligible for stimulus on the 2020 tax return even though there were no payments provided under the 1st and 2nd stimulus payments.  

does that help? 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes, you are correct.

@stevemoks - everything is based on the 2020 tax return - both your income and filing state.  Put 2018/2019 out of your mind....

If you are eligible, you would get both the 1st and 2nd stimulus payments on the 2020 tax return.

Just follow the questions at the END of the Turbotax interview section and what you want to watch for is the amount you are expecting ($1800?) appears on Line 30 of Form 1040.  Turbo tax has yet to program for the 2ned stimulus but we all hope it is there before the filing window opens in late January.  Suggestion is to have patience and have confidence the correct number is on Line 30 before hitting the 'send' button.

does that help? 

while you didn't provide enough detail, please note that if your parents CAN claim you, even if they don't, you are not eligible for the stimulus and must answer that way (like you did last year).  That stated, most that were students in 2019 and out on their own with a job now will be eligible for stimulus on the 2020 tax return even though there were no payments provided under the 1st and 2nd stimulus payments.  

does that help? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies