Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I completed my California state tax refund on January 30th and efiled. Why is it still have pending status throughTurboTax?

I filed my taxes for Federal and CA State, as I do each year with Turbo Tax. This year, my Federal was approved but my state return keeps getting rejected even after I follows the supposed prompts to fix it. The reason for rejection said this was due to a software issue that would be resolved on 2/18/21, so the system instructed me to resubmit on 2/18/21, which I did, but CA State returns keep getting rejected, for the same reason "TT software issue." I was on hold yesterday for over an hour, and the girl from NY was baffled too, she is supposed to follow-up with me tomorrow, but I after reading this thread, I'm sure this is a bigger problem that needs to be escalated. I used to love TT for the ease of use, now I'm questioning this product altogether, especially because I paid $190 for the extra help, but I'm not seeing any extra (helpful) help. Ugh....

I completed my California state tax refund on January 30th and efiled. Why is it still have pending status throughTurboTax?

How long do I wait for the State of California to accept my return. its been to long, or is it Turbo tax issue?

This is a California issue...not a turbo tax issue.

I was told:

After some investigation, it is showing that the state is doing some investigation on returns and that is why it is still in pending status.  They did not give us a reason why. 

Level 5

UPDATE:
Today (Feb 19) I opened up my Turbotax program (CD version) and updated the program.
It said my California return was rejected. I then followed the instructions. (TIP: I took screenprints of each screen along the way and saved the screen prints to a document so I could easily see what steps I took — there were at least 10 screens I had to go through).

First it took me to review my Federal return. (I found this odd because my Federal had already been Accepted and I actually already have received my Federal refund a few days ago). Nevertheless, I went through the Federal “Deductions” and “Credits” sections, but of course didn’t make any changes. I just clicked on “Continue”.

Once I went through all Federal screens, it took me to my California return. It had me check my California return for accuracy. Once it found NO ERRORS, it then took me through the various sections to identify myself with my California license and then to verify my bank routing information (all this information was already there, so I just reviewed it). The last screen came up to “submit” for e-filing. So, holding my breath (and of course saying a PRAYER), I clicked on “submit”

Lo and behold, it said “transmission successful” and said to wait 24-48 hours for California to “Accept”. I then received an email stating my transmission to California was successful. Still praying California actually accepts !! Will update once they do….

Meanwhile, I found this song just before starting the “re-filing” process. I hope and pray it brings you hope and comfort. It’s by Jeremy Camp and it’s called “Out of My Hands”
BLESSING TO YOU ALL !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxFj9xWuEXA

MESSAGE TO TURBOTAX: Because this has caused so many of us unnecessary stress, we collectively ask you to consider refunding us the $20 it cost us to file with the state of California (or other states that had to deal with this problematic issue). Doing so will reinstate faith in your product. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS US ALL

How do i get the reject notice? or how i resubmit  my california taxes? 

Are you in California?  Turbotax should have sent you an email (and/or a text message) telling you your California return was rejected (meaning, Turbotax rejected, NOT California).  Go into your Turbotax program, update the program with the lastest software updates, then you should be given instructions on what to.  It's pretty straightforward.  The main thing is if you already filed your Federal return through Turbotax, then Turbotax should have your email address and that's the email address they are using to notify users (as well as if you put phone number, you should have received a text messaging telling you of the Rejection).

I received my reject notice from Turbotax with instructions on how to fix the problem

NOTE:  This is a Turbotax issue, NOT a California issue as one other person here is stating.  TurboTax is responsible for their software glitch......

OK, so I received my email stating that my CA State Form had been rejected due to some Expenses I might not have handled properly to be deductions in CA. I had none of the expenses stated, so I had nothing to adjust. I simply continued and resubmitted my eFile. It said it was sent yesterday. I received a message and an email last night that my CA State form was Accepted. Remember, I changed nothing, added nothing and made no program updates of any kind.

Just now I went to look for my State Refund Status - low and behold they are processing my State Form - HAPPY DAY!! It says to give them a month. 

So, I think perhaps that our early files were stuck somewhere as this is not something that Turbotax is used to doing. 

I just wish that they would own up and apologize for their mistake.

Just thought I would share that it seems to be OK once you are given the opportunity to refile.

flimflam

Filed Feb 9 and Fed accepted Feb 12. On Feb 16, I received TurboTax email saying CA e-file rejected and I had to re-file on-or-after Feb 19.

All TT asked me to do was review my California ID and payment info (no problems there) and re-file. TT didn't require any kind of review of the Fed or State returns.

I'm guessing the problem was between TT and CA. Perhaps their e-filing software needed updating.

TurboTax should be more up-front with customers regarding what the problem is/was. It's scary to get notice saying your taxes were rejected! Jaysis.

There have been TT program modifications, so it wasn't just an issue with CA rejecting returns. If you've reviewed your returns after the update, you may have noticed that there are now figures in Column C of Lines 22 and 23 of the CA Adjustments form (CA 540)? Before there were figures only in Columns A & B.  I understand how the program arrived at the figures in the three columns, but I don't understand what, if anything, the program does with the negative balance in Column C of Line 23.  (This all has to do with the new $300 charitable donation allowed above the Federal standard deduction).  I haven't filed my returns yet, and I'm hesitant to do so until I have double checked all the figures and understand how those figures were determined. I've been relying on TT for more than 10 years.

There is no problem with the Franchise Tax Board.  It is a glitch on Turbo Tax's side.  I requested a refund and opted to completed my State Tax on the FTB site.  It's free, easy, and takes less than 20 minutes.  All you need is a copy of your Federal Taxes which you can pull from Turbo tax and your W-2's.  https://www.ftb.ca.gov/

You are correct.  I reported the $300 glitch to Turbo Tax yesterday.  TT rejected the return yesterday after it had been pending 4 days.  I decided not to make any corrections.  I opted for a refund.  I filed my state directly on the Franchise Tax Board site.  It was easy and free.

@Carpam30 

For those who took the $300 on their Fed but used standard deduction and then itemized on California, your refund amount was greater than it was supposed to be, because you have more than likely used the $300 twice, once on line 10b and you left that amount included on the 1040a.  

Your amount on the  Calfile should not have matched the amount that TurboTax came up with.

You can expect that FTB will eventually audit you and charge you penalties and interest on the amount you double dipped on.

Sorry

LuJo1

I keep getting the message there is one more thing to fix. It takes me to the form where I am to enter an amount on line E. There is no line E. I paid $50 for the CA state component in Turbo Tax Business and it. Intuit please fix California component?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies