turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jacoreybenjamin214
Returning Member

I can’t track my Tax return status on the IRS website. I mailed in a month ago. I made sure to put the right amount. Will this effect if I get a stimulus check or not?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

I can’t track my Tax return status on the IRS website. I mailed in a month ago. I made sure to put the right amount. Will this effect if I get a stimulus check or not?

The IRS can take up to 16 weeks for a mailed return. They are basing the stimulus payments off of 2019 tax filings. However, if the 2019 return is not yet on file, they will defer to your 2018 tax return.

The IRS has created a Get My Payment portal to track the progress of these payments for taxpayers. It is expected to be available beginning April 17, 2020.

IRS Economic Impact Payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jacoreybenjamin214
Returning Member

Could I use the non-filer option to keep that from happening? 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

No, you should not use the non-file option.  When you use that, you are actually filing a return with zero income and refund or tax liability.   If you have already mailed your return and it is in the system, the non-file option will be rejected.  

For mailed paper returns: If you filed a paper return, please allow 4 weeks before checking the status. Refund processing time is 6 to 8 weeks from the date the IRS receives your tax return.

Jacoreybenjamin214
Returning Member

So I won’t qualify for the stimulus check because last year on my taxes I was qualified as a dependent but not this year. Am I correct? Even though my parents didn’t claim me on their taxes that they already received? 

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

If you didn't file your 2019 return in time for the IRS to review it for the stimulus, then you can still receive it in 2021 when you file your 2020 return. The stimulus is actually an ADVANCE on a credit on your 2020 return. 

@Jacoreybenjamin214

Jacoreybenjamin214
Returning Member

Wow great. Thanks. 

Jacoreybenjamin214
Returning Member

What if I didn’t file in 2018?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

They will go by your 2019 return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies