turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can't pay my taxes out of my refund my refund is 1800 and my tax fees are 110 why can't I pay with my federal

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I can't pay my taxes out of my refund my refund is 1800 and my tax fees are 110 why can't I pay with my federal

@ missaggia1978   wrote:  "I can't pay my taxes out of my refund my refund is 1800 and my tax fees are 110 why can't I pay with my federal"

"I can't pay my taxes out of my refund."

I'm not sure what you meant by that in regards to paying "taxes."

You cannot pay any state taxes due out of a Federal refund.   I'll assume that was a mistype and that you mean to say "product fees" or "tax preparation fees."   If you have state taxes to pay, you have to pay them separately by whatever method your state accepts.

Here are some possible reasons the "pay out of refund" option for paying product fees may not be available for someone:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-can-t-i-deduct-my-turbotax-fees-from-my-...

Also, be aware that pay-out-of-refund payment method has a $40 service fee ($45 for California filers.)   You will save money if you pay upfront with credit/debit card or a prepaid debit card you can buy in a store.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

In your case the most likely reason is that the refund is your stimulus payments (Recovery Rebate Credit).  TurboTax cannot use the Recovery Rebate Credit amounts by Federal Law to withhold your fees.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ missaggia1978 

I also added the paragraph below to my answer above.    It's not clear in your original question what all you are trying to pay out of your refund--whether you are just referring to the TurboTax product fees, or whether you also meant pay any state taxes due.

"I can't pay my taxes out of my refund."

I'm not sure what you meant by that in regards to paying "taxes."

You cannot pay any state taxes due out of a Federal refund.   I'll assume that was a mistype and that you mean to say "product fees" or "tax preparation fees."   If you have state taxes to pay, you have to pay them separately by whatever method your state accepts. 

NOTE:  Also, see the info that TurboTax @ DanielV01 just posted in this thread in regards to the Recovery Rebate Credit, if applicable.

@DanielV01 wrote:

In your case the most likely reason is that the refund is your stimulus payments (Recovery Rebate Credit).  TurboTax cannot use the Recovery Rebate Credit amounts by Federal Law to withhold your fees.

That's good to know.  Thanks for adding on to the thread.  TurboTax ought to add that to the FAQ I provided in my original answer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies