turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally said I could be claimed as a dependent when I couldn't, will I still get my stimulus deposit?

Hello, this was my first year filing taxes and I said that I could be claimed as a dependent when I couldn't be, I was 20 at the time and not a full time student. Nobody claimed me due to these factors but I'm wondering if I will still be able to get my stimulus check due to the fact that nobody claimed me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I accidentally said I could be claimed as a dependent when I couldn't, will I still get my stimulus deposit?

I also said nobody would claim me, due to me misreading and thinking it meant had I been claimed in the past

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

If you indicated that you could be claimed as a dependent, you were eligible to be claimed as a dependent, or you were claimed, you may not receive an advance payment of the Economic Impact Credit.  

You should amend the return by filing Form 1040X if you were not eligible to be claimed as a dependent so that the return on file is accurate. 

Amended returns are filed by mail and typically take 8-12 weeks to process.  Processing times right now are significantly delayed due to reductions in staff.

It is not known if, upon processing, an advance payment will be sent.

Any taxpayer whose advance payment received is less than the full payment for which he or she is entitled, will be eligible to claim the difference as a credit on the 2020 tax return filed in 2021.

Please check these links frequently for updates:

IRS Economic Impact Payment

TurboTax Coronavirus Updates

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jessvalentine29
Returning Member

I made the same mistake, possibly because it's the first time I've used the online filing tool and filed myself. 

In any case, I'm having trouble locating the exact spot on the 1040-X form where I need to say "I CANNOT be claimed as a dependent." Please help. 

Thank you

Don't bother amending the return this late in the year ... since they take 4 months to process you will not get the stimulus this year.  Instead you will properly file the return NOT being claimed as a dependent ( in the MY INFO tab) and the credit will be applied on the 2020 return you will file next January. 

jessvalentine29
Returning Member

Hi Critter-3, 

I thought in order to do the "right thing", especially when the IRS is involved, is to file an amended return, even if I won't see the EIP until I file my 2020 return? Besides, many things have changed when I file 2020: I got married in August, we bought a house in September, and I also pulled from 2 retirement accounts in order to buy the house. The 2020 return is going to be more complicated... 

@jessvalentine29 wrote:

Hi Critter-3, 

I thought in order to do the "right thing", especially when the IRS is involved, is to file an amended return, even if I won't see the EIP until I file my 2020 return? Besides, many things have changed when I file 2020: I got married in August, we bought a house in September, and I also pulled from 2 retirement accounts in order to buy the house. The 2020 return is going to be more complicated... 

Actually there is no place on a 1040X form to change that other then the reason for amending box you write that you said you could be claimed as a dependent when you could not be so claimed.

Note that *could* be claimed is not the same as were not claimed.

You must check that box whether or not the person that could claim you actually does claim you.

Many student taxpayers erroneously believe that they can claim themselves if their parents did not claim them when they could.  

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@jessvalentine29 

Since the standard deduction is the same either way this will not change the bottom line of the return so amending is NOT needed or advised so don't bother.  And since you will not get the stimulus this year there is absolutely no reason to bother the IRS with a useless tax return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies