Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I accidentally marked "someone can claim" me as a dependent but no one did.

I spoke to an H&R block representative today and she explained to me that the returns are determined by your social security number and to still be hopefully we will receive one as long as your social security was not ran through the irs twice however she also expressed the only way to change the can be claimed status is to amend your return and that it’ll be longer then 16 weeks to process because they are minimal staffed and yes they are still taking paper returns

I also just spoke to a tax rep and she advised me to amend my return based on my situation. I graduated college in 2019, began working full time soon after, and I also turned 24. She did add that it may take a few months for them to fix it and for me to receive the check. 

@acollinsxoxo   what’s the difference if they run your social vs looking at your 1040, wouldn’t your social reflect what’s your 1040 says?

I did a check on the IRS website and I showed up as "Payment Status Not Available". I did the same mistake as you did on my tax forms and now I'm not sure if I'll get the relief or not. If anyone has an answer or has gotten it while having that box checked please let us know. 

I did this as well.

I filed in February and stated that I would be claimed as a dependent.  I was 24 at the end of 2019 and made more that $4,500 in 2019. I learned that I couldn't be claimed as their dependent when my parents started to file because Turbo said they could not claim me. It is SO FRUSTRATING that Turbo has the feature to tell MY PARENTS that they couldn't claim me due to my age and income, but doesn't have the feature to tell ME that I couldn't be claimed. Had this feature been available, none of us would be in this predicament. ://///

I mailed my 1040-X today (4/16/2020) in hopes that I will receive the stimulus at some point. 

I am worried that because my parents filed their 2019 return after the distribution of stimulus checks, the IRS looked at their 2018 return which has me as their dependent. Is this something I should worry about? 

Jackieortega97
Returning Member

When you do your amend to change from dependent to independent is that what you write down on Part 3? And leave Part 1 blank where it’s asking about exemptions and dependents? I need help filling out my 1040x form :(

Do I need to amend ?? I already got my return , no one claimed me as dependent but I clicked on that box. **bleep** I need that check

I’m in the same boat. 24 accidentally checked someone could claim although they cannot and did not. I guess I’m going to amend. Following this thread. 

I still have not received the stimulus check either direct deposit or in the mail this week. I just amended my tax return on Wednesday April 15, 2020, printed it out and mailed it. I guess it's better to receive the stimulus check later than never. In this day and age the IRS process is still archaic. I had to learn my lesson the hard way unfortunately. If anyone has received their stimulus check, please let us know, thanks! I hope everyone here gets their stimulus check, we sure do need it during these challenging times.

Kgomezyt

I am in the same boat. Is there any update?

I’m also in the same boat , I haven’t received anything either . Do you guys think it’ll be better to wait for the irs people to go back to work and just call them directly?  To avoid the whole amendment process 

made mistake on taxes

Alexb12

Same exact situation. Let me know if you receive anything. 

made mistake on taxes as well. just printed out my amend. going to mail as soon as possible. this is just ridiculous. 

Wish everyone luck, will try to keep everyone updated. 

Maybe they will just check socials (because I checked with my parents, & I wasn’t claimed)

and send through but who knows. 

also went through cash app to receive payment, tried tracking on IRS unable too. 

😕

Yeah, I’m in the same situation. Didn’t think there would be this big of a cost for this, and I’m kicking myself. I hope this gets noticed and something is done about it. Also don’t know if it’ll be good to keep my hopes high. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies