turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to submit 8332 to revoke dependency with my tax return?

When I tried to file my own taxes, I was rejected because I was claimed as a dependent. I have filled out Form 8332 to revoke that claim (there weren't any credits given for me).  How can I submit my taxes and Form 8332 so that I can file independently? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You are mistaking what form 8332 is used for. That form allows the custodial parent who the child lived with more than half the year to release the dependency claim to the non custodial parent to be able to claim the child on the non custodial parents tax return. It cannot be used by a child to claim themselves. 

If you were claimed as a dependent by someone and did not meet the requirements to be claimed by them, then your only recourse is to print and mail your tax return and do not check the box that you can be claimed by someone else. You are not allowed to leave that box unchecked if you can in fact be claimed by someone else. 

The IRS will process your return and then later in the year will come to you and the other person who claimed you and request documentation to support each of your claims. Whoever is ruled to be correct gets to claim you and whoever is wrong must return any benefits received from claiming you plus possible penalties. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You are mistaking what form 8332 is used for. That form allows the custodial parent who the child lived with more than half the year to release the dependency claim to the non custodial parent to be able to claim the child on the non custodial parents tax return. It cannot be used by a child to claim themselves. 

If you were claimed as a dependent by someone and did not meet the requirements to be claimed by them, then your only recourse is to print and mail your tax return and do not check the box that you can be claimed by someone else. You are not allowed to leave that box unchecked if you can in fact be claimed by someone else. 

The IRS will process your return and then later in the year will come to you and the other person who claimed you and request documentation to support each of your claims. Whoever is ruled to be correct gets to claim you and whoever is wrong must return any benefits received from claiming you plus possible penalties. 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You can't.  That isn't what Form 8332 is for.  Form 8332 is for a non-custodial parent who wants to release his or her claim for a child to the other parent.  

If you are a qualifying dependent of another person, meaning that you are related to them and that they provide more than half of your support, then they can claim you as such and they do receive credits for you on their tax return, regardless of what they tell you.  They receive $500 "credit for other dependents".  

If you are not a qualifying dependent of another person, simply print out your return and file it by mail and the IRS will later mail a letter to you and anyone else who listed you on their tax return requesting proof of the claim that you are a dependent (or not a dependent in your case) and they will sort it out.  

The person whose return is not correct will have their return adjusted and will be required to pay back the tax plus penalties and interest. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies