turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

user5960

How to create and print a 2021 Form 1040 ES in turbo tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

When you prepare your 2020 return, TurboTax will automatically calculate your 2021 estimated tax payments and prepare 1040-ES vouchers if the program thinks you may be at risk for an underpayment penalty next year.

However, you can also calculate your 2021 estimated taxes and generate the payment vouchers by doing this:

1. With your tax return open, search for 1040-es (be sure to include the dash) and select the Jump to 1040-es link.
  2. Answer No to the question Do you want to change your W-4 withholdings for 2021?
  3. Answer the questions about things like your 2021 filing status, income, and deductions.
  4. Eventually, you'll come to the Print Vouchers? screen. Answer Yes and the program will include your 2021 1040-ES payment vouchers when you print a copy of your return later.
user5960

1. I dont see how to open a return that is completed (other than to upload a pdf file)

2. Everytime I search for 1040-es (with the dash), the search function does not offer a line to the 1040-es form.

3. I have wasted more than one hour trying to do a simple find, enter data, and print function. I can go to irs.gov and print the form in about 30 seconds, but must hand write the form. Therefore, this software is woefully inadequate for simple functions!

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Be very careful not to change anything in your tax return.  If you do it will not match the tax return you have filed.

To Log back in your TurboTax account and "add a state" to open the return back up (you are not really adding a state, just to open it back up).

This will bring you back into your return.

TurboTax does offer a tax estimator and will help you to prepare your W-4.

1. In TurboTax please follow these steps:
  2. After opening the return select FEDERAL
  3. Choose Other Tax Situations
  4. Scroll down to Other Tax Forms
  5. Select Show More
  6. Scroll to Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes
  7. Follow the steps from there

There is also an Online version that can be reached at: TurboTax Tax Estimator

Now that you know how to do this it will be simple.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomTaxpayer
Returning Member

I am was having the same problem, but I was using TurboTax Desktop and these instructions seem to be for TurboTax Online. This is how I got to a similar place using the Desktop version:

1) In the Toolbar at the top of the TurboTax window click "Search Topics". It is left of the middle, don't confuse it with "Search" at the far right.

2) Enter "1040-es", click the first item and you are taken directly to the right place to answer questions and get the vouchers added to your return. Note that is the only option, you can't print them directly from that screen.

Re ...instructions seem to be for TurboTax Online...you nailed it!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies