turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to amend S Corp Federal tax return on turbotax?

How to amend S Corp Federal tax return on TurboTax? I have CD version of TurboTax, I made all the changes, But Turbotax don't allow me to transmit. How should I do? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@KatrinaB48 wrote:

Amended returns are not eligible for electronic filing. 

That statement is only applicable to amended federal individual income tax returns (i.e., Form 1040X).

Amended income tax returns for entities (e.g., 1120-S, 1041, 1065) can be e-filed.

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Did you make the requisite changes and then save the return to a new tax file?

TurboTax Business will not allow you to e-file a return that has already been e-filed.

KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

Amended returns are not eligible for electronic filing. This type of return must be mailed to the IRS and state department of Revenue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@KatrinaB48 wrote:

Amended returns are not eligible for electronic filing. 

That statement is only applicable to amended federal individual income tax returns (i.e., Form 1040X).

Amended income tax returns for entities (e.g., 1120-S, 1041, 1065) can be e-filed.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

tagteam is correct.,  Before amending the return, create a copy so that your original return remains intact. If you haven't done this, I suggest you remove the changes you've made on the 1120S and follow these steps:

1. Create a copy of the return.  While in the original return, click File > Save As.  Add the word Amended after the file name.
  2. Go through and make the changes.
  3. A 1120S will be created with the Amended return box marked.
  4. You should now be able to e-file the return.
khmama
Returning Member

The box for Amended return is checked, but it still will not allow to e-file.  Does not acknowledge it is a new return.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You can never efile an amended return. It has to be printed and mailed in.

@DaveF1006 wrote:

You can never efile an amended return. It has to be printed and mailed in.

That is true with respect to individual income tax returns, but not true with respect to business (entity) income tax returns, which can most definitely be e-filed.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

This may be true except not in Turbo Tax.  Efiling amended business returns are not supported by Turbo Tax. All amended forms for efile are not supported by Turbo Tax.

@DaveF1006 wrote:

This may be true except not in Turbo Tax.  Efiling amended business returns are not supported by Turbo Tax. All amended forms for efile are not supported by Turbo Tax.

Funny, because, with the exception of an 1120X, I can get all the way through to the e-file section (Transmit Returns Now) with amended Forms 1120-S, 1065, and 1041.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Well, you said it right. You can efile all those forms EXCEPT 1120X.  

were you ever able to efile your amended 1120S?  I am having the same problem.  I saved the file under a different file name, made the changes and still cannot efile.

I printed and mailed the amended return to the state of Wisconsin as Turbo Tax Business instructed. I received a letter from the state Depart of Revenue telling me they will not accept my paper return, the amended return must be e-filed. The letter included  a link to "vendors offering approved software to meet my electronic filing obligation"  and Turbo Tax Business is on the list. What do I do? 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

As a practical matter, the S corporation return is not critical with respect to state tax filings. It is just an information return that shows no tax liability in most instances. Your personal federal tax return, to which the S corporation return flows, is used by the state to aid in the verification of your state personal tax return, not so much the S corporation tax return.

So, you can go to a preparer and have the amended return prepared and e-filed, which will entail preparing the original return again, or you can document that you filed the amended return with the state and they refused to accept it, and let it go at that.

There’s a lot of answers here but from what I can tell you cannot file an amended return for an S corporation unless you actually mail it in and make the changes yourself.  It will not allow you to e-file

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies