turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yenwat48

How many years can you go back to amend a return that was filed and accepted?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

Generally, you must file Form 1040X within three years from the date you filed your original tax return or within two years of the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. 

Right now, you can amend your tax returns for 2014, 2015 and 2016. After April 15, 2018, you can no longer amend your 2014 tax return.

Its in my divorce i claim my daughterbon taxes eveey yr but my ex wife has bee. Ever since she been sepreated and i found out she is doin it illegally and i claimed her last yr but i have court papers innmy divorce stating i am suppose to claim my daughter and i want to ammend my taxes from 2012 till 2016

If it is in our divorxe papers stating i have the rigjt to claim her and i disnt know this was goin on and i disnt realize it was illegal what she is doin i have proof. I am able to claim her so she should be having to pay back money to thw govermwnt and wht money she got for the yrs she has claimed her shoild come to me rigjtfulley

Tom-  Is it valid to assume that now, in November/December of 2019, a taxpayer could file 1099x-2016 to AMend the 2016 return until 15 April 2020?   Please confirm....  thanks~

@hellercane70 You have until the April 2020 filing deadline to file a 1040X to amend a 2016 tax return.  After that, you cannot get a tax refund for 2016 even if one is shown on the tax return.  Amended returns must be printed, signed and mailed.  They cannot be e-filed.

A 1040X cannot be e-filed.  It must be printed and mailed.  It will take about 3-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  It is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it, like UPS or certified mail, so you will know it was received.

Wait about 3 weeks from mailing and you can check the status of your amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2566895-what-does-it-mean-to-amend-a-return

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

We need to amend out 2016 taxes, using the 3-year rule, we would have to file the amendment no later than 15 April 2017 plus 3 years = 15Apr2020.  BUT, does anyone know if the IRS has made an extension due to COVID-19 as they did for filing taxes this year?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You can amend a return at any time, but you can generally only claim a refund for up to 3 years from the date the return was due or 2 years from the date the tax was paid. 

The IRS has issued guidance that they will accept claims for refunds from 2016 tax returns through July 15, 2020.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bkan

Hi

I have got refund for 2015 tax returns but I dint mail the dox to IRS both federal and state. In my turbotax account it is not showing the tax money i got back. But in my bank account i see the refund from IRS. It’s confusing but i finally concluded  that i e- filed my federal tax and dint mail  state tax returns.

can i amend it now or how do I proceed?

Am an international F1 student in United states. I haven’t filled 1040x-NR form too.
How do i need to correct it now?

I see everyone writing that you can GENERALLY only claim a refund for up to 3 years. What does that mean - is there a possibility of submitting later if there was a significant overpayment? I just realized for the last 8-9 years I've been entering in HR Block the net employee wages on my schedule C line 26 as opposed to the total wages which would have included the withheld portion that I paid to state and federal every month. I'm not referring to the employer (line 23) or employee (not deductible) portion of FICA and unemployment etc. In a year my total pay was $139,000, I only deducted the net employee pay of $113,000! I'm reading when you pay too little the IRS can come knocking even 10 years later, so it's a bit shocking when the roles are reversed and we are disadvantaged, all of a sudden there's a 3 year limit!

in my opinion anyway, i get there may need to be some limit due to the manpower at the IRS, but such a limit should only apply when the overpayment is minimal. If you overpay by thousands, there's really no good reason why any company/organization/government body should be able to say 'sorry, too late.' rather than swindle DIY filers for their errors, it would be far more efficient a solution for the government to only accept professionally prepared forms for business filers to avoid errors in the first place. In fact, they should pay for businesses to hire a professional. It'll create more jobs for accountants and limit needless errors and need for auditing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

an extended 2016 return normally had to be amended by 10/15/2020.  however, there is an exception 

Taxpayers may now use a five-year carryback for net operating losses (NOLs) arising in tax years beginning in 2018, 2019, and 2020, compliments of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act (P.L. 116-136).

so an unextended 2017 return amendment not involving an NOL has to be amended by 4/15/2021 extended by 10/15/2021

for 2018 change the year ends to 2022 and for 2019 to 2023

however, once an original filing for a tax year is fully processed, an amended return should be filed as soon as possible, less something occur and you lose out on a refund.  if you owe it doesn't really matter. the IRS can come after you forever. In practicality, since they usually don't keep returns for more than 7 years,  if you are not notified that you owe within that timeframe you're probably safe.   

as to entering net wages rather than gross, what did you enter for payroll taxes? your total payments or only the employer's portion.  if you enter your total payments which would have included federal withholding and the employer's and employees' share of fica and medicare taxes, then you in total deducted the correct amount - wages understated by $X but payroll taxes overstated by the same amount. 

@scarlettanager 

Did you have actual employees  or  are you the only "employee"?   Did you W-2 yourself ?   If you did that is not allowed when filing a Sch C.

And when filing an income tax return you are ultimately responsible for the accuracy. Ignorance is not an excuse.  Using a professional the first year to get started right and be educated is worth every penny since the result of doing things wrong can be costly as you are finding out. And the IRS will not pay a refund on a closed tax year ... that is just the plain facts. 

I see you say 'generally' amended taxes go back only up to 4 years. How do I appeal that I have tried to use the specified contact in Manila to support me in this and was not advised correctly.  I finally sorted out the amended due taxes and the paid amended taxes was returned saying it was no longer viable. Due t this I am 2 credits short of the needed 40 credits and CANNOT get signed up into medicare before retirement. How do I appeal this extenuating circumstance being overseas and ill advised and repay and get the 3 credits that my amended taxes would afford me?  Please help with any contacts or resources which can support my efforts. Sincerely;

Laura S

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

When you say "amended taxes was returned saying it was no longer viable," who returned your amended tax return to you?  If it was the IRS, the IRS does have an internal appeal process, and perhaps that would be your best option.  That is, to appeal the denial from the IRS, if in fact the IRS denied your amended returns.  

You may need to seek the assistance of a tax professional to help you through the IRS appeal process.  TurboTax can provided some general guidance but the specifics of your case are more complex and will likely require a more involved investigation.  Here is a link to the IRS webpage that discusses Requesting an Appeal.

@llcschuster

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Can I ammend my 2014 return if I am still not paid it completely.?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies