turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I tell Turbotax online I received my UCE tax refund on my amended return so that it doesn't claim the credit a second time?

I am amending my original tax return to add a K1 I received late.  In the meantime, the IRS adjusted my tax return to include a $20,400 unemployment credit  (UCE) and issued me a refund.  At the time of my filing, this credit was not available, so, it was not included in my original return by the Turbotax software.  Now when I amend the return on Turbotax it is including the credit creating a large refund that I have already received.   How do I tell Turbotax I already received the refund for this credit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How do I tell Turbotax online I received my UCE tax refund on my amended return so that it doesn't claim the credit a second time?

This is a situation where I would amend the return and remove the $20,400 in unemployment so TurboTax does not give you a refund again.  

The whole credit is an unique situation that does not fit the mold of any other year's amendment.  Someone may post a better answer.

if you are using TurboTax Online you can't do that. This is a serious flaw in TurboTax Online.

You need to contact Customer Support and get them to give you a download of desktop  program, so you can get to the forms.

You can go to the line where you report unemployment and manually subtract $20,400 from the unemployment received and change the number to the remainder of that equation.

For example, if you received $30,000 in unemployment, you can change your unemployment received to show just $9,600.  You do not need to access the forms to make that change.

That might trigger a review by the IRS, but your figures will be correct on the amend.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies