turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get Golden State Stimulus, if i already filed 2020 with turbotax? It never mentioned it to me and now it would not let me amend.

I  qualify,  but when I filed with turbotax, it didn't mention anything. why  did I not get it? I am california resident, filed single, and  collected unemployment.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

How do I get Golden State Stimulus, if i already filed 2020 with turbotax? It never mentioned it to me and now it would not let me amend.

The credit would be included with your refund on your California tax return. If you have a copy of your California tax return, look to see if you have a form 3514 California Earned Income Tax Credit. Then, look on line 20 of that form, that would be your California EITC. It would also be on line 75 of your California Resident Income tax return, form 540, or on line 23 if you filed the California short form 540 2EZ.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

11 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If you filed your tax return and received a California earned income tax credit (CalEITC), then you don't need to amend your return to get the Golden State Stimulus, it will be sent to you automatically.

If you were entitled to an CalEITC but didn't list it on your tax return, then you do need to amend your return to get the stimulus payment.

You can read more about it here:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsroom/golden-state-stimulus/index.html#How-to-get-your-payment

Thank you, how do you know  if you  received california income tax credit?  would it be included together with your tax refund? where can you  go check if received it or not ?  now I know  I qualify but at the time I filed, turbotax app said something about not eligible for earned income credit. I am not sure what it was and I need to confirm.  Thank you. 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The credit would be included with your refund on your California tax return. If you have a copy of your California tax return, look to see if you have a form 3514 California Earned Income Tax Credit. Then, look on line 20 of that form, that would be your California EITC. It would also be on line 75 of your California Resident Income tax return, form 540, or on line 23 if you filed the California short form 540 2EZ.

Thank  you I really appreciate your help! So I checked and  it only says $30 on my taxes 540 form line 75. So does this mean I do not have amend my taxes and they will send me a check? or does it mean I already received total of $30 out of the $600 in my refund? Thank you!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Your tax return shows an amount for CA EITC which means you automatically qualify and the state will send you a check for $600.

Thank you!!! this was so much better than getting a live assistant phone call from turbotax. 

Todd1965

I have did not file for any tax credit. How and where to Amend in turbotax online? I don't see that option anywhere.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Possibly the return has not been filed. If the return has not been filed electronically or by mail, then the return can be updated with any tax credits without amending.

Deductions and Credits are reported in its own section of the Federal return. 

However, for the stimulus payment reporting, follow these steps:

1. Go to the search box and enter stimulus. Click the Jump to link.
  2. Answer Yes.
  3. At the next screen, Let's double-check the amount you received, answer No to edit the first-round and second-round amounts.
  4. If no stimulus amount was received, enter 0. An amount must be entered in each box. When finished, click Continue.

If an amended return is needed, then begin from the Tax Home page and follow these steps:

• Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and Show.
  • Select Amend (change) return.
  • Select Amend using TurboTax Online and follow the instructions.

For information about amending, see: How do I amend my 2020 TurboTax Online return?

Do I need to amend my state if I amend my federal?

@Todd1965

I filed my taxes and got my payment.However,I did not claim CalEITC. Now when I try to amend my taxes ,it is asking for me to pay back the amount of my last 2 stimulus to the IRS. Why is that? I want to qualify for the Golden state stimulus.

Hello Just filed my taxes an I put in for the first 2 stimulus checks I haven’t received any I’m wondering how I apply for the Golden state stimulus checks.

thank you for your help in advance 

Elizabeth

@todd51813 Did you file a 2020 CA return?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/what-is-the-california-stimulus-payment-and-who-i...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies