turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i contact a live person at the irs?

I was put under extra review for my taxes and it says if i havent heard anything from them or received my refund in 60 days to contact them about my refund. There is 14 days left and i havent heard anything yet but i noticed the irs isnt letting you talk to a live agent right now. What am i supposed to do when theae 2 weeks are up and theres no one to ask why ita taking so long? I want my dang refund!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do until the IRS reopens local offices and starts taking phone calls again. 

You're kidding right? Ive been waiting since February 3rd!!!!! What the hell!!

You might try the Taxpayer Advocate Service. They might take calls before the IRS actually starts taking them. See here: https://www.irs.gov/taxpayer-advocate

The IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service is still open for phone assistance in most states.

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your area's IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

This is just very unacceptable. I filed feb 3rd. Why am i gonna be forced to wait even longer than i was told?! I need to speak to the IRS. 

@VolvoGirl that doesnt help at all. My notice says if i havent received any information from them or my refund to contact them after 60 days. How am i supposed to contact them about getting my refund if they dont answer the phone?! I need my refund. Its been 3 months already!! Im getting very upset i havent received it yet.

@Brandimedrano3 wrote:

@VolvoGirl that doesnt help at all. My notice says if i havent received any information from them or my refund to contact them after 60 days. How am i supposed to contact them about getting my refund if they dont answer the phone?! I need my refund. Its been 3 months already!! Im getting very upset i havent received it yet.

Most all of the IRS departments do not have their phone manned at this time.  All you can do is wait.

You can try this phone number on a daily basis -

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

@DoninGA i shouldnt have to wait any longer than they said before. I have direct deposit. This is ridiculous and extremely frustrating. Ive been patient but now im not gonna be anymore. We are a low income family and we have every right to be mad when our money hasnt come in and cant contact them to ask why. Im tired of waiting. 

@Brandimedrano3 wrote:

@DoninGA i shouldnt have to wait any longer than they said before. I have direct deposit. This is ridiculous and extremely frustrating. Ive been patient but now im not gonna be anymore. We are a low income family and we have every right to be mad when our money hasnt come in and cant contact them to ask why. Im tired of waiting. 

Since the IRS is not taking phone calls your only other option is to use a Taxpayer Advocate.

See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies