turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hemarbrc

Hi I just heard that because we are getting a stimulus that our tax refunds will be delayed by 10 weeks now Is this true?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Hi I just heard that because we are getting a stimulus that our tax refunds will be delayed by 10 weeks now Is this true?

We have not received any official guidance on that yet.  However, the delay probably happened already.  IRS had to prepare for this while still issuing refunds.  Refunds were not delayed that much with the first check and that was under different circumstances. The Third Stimulus checks have started to be delivered as of today so I think the worse is over.  That is my opinion, however. 

Here is some great information about  The American Rescue Plan

The American Rescue Plan provides relief for millions of Americans through numerous measures, including a third round of stimulus checks, unemployment benefit extensions, and expansions of the Child Tax Credit and the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

This means if you qualify for a third stimulus check, you could get up to $1,400 for each taxpayer in your household plus $1,400 for each dependent.

• Families earning less than $150,000 a year and individuals earning less than $75,000 a year should get the full $1,400 per person.
  • Families earning up to $160,000 per year and individuals earning up to $80,000 per year will receive prorated amounts.
  • One notable difference from the first two stimulus is that you will receive stimulus payments for all your dependents, including adult dependents and college students.

To find out if you are eligible and how much you can expect, visit our stimulus calculator.

Do I need to apply to get a stimulus check?

You don’t need to do anything to get your stimulus check. The IRS will determine eligibility based on your last tax return (either 2019 or 2020) and will likely send your payment to the bank account where your tax refund was deposited.

When will I get my stimulus check?

The IRS has begun distributing stimulus payments and we expect people could receive their stimulus payments as early as next week (March 17th).  

For information on when you can expect your stimulus payment, we anticipate that the IRS Get My Payment tool will be updated next week.

The American Rescue Plan and Your Taxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kim Luong
Returning Member

Hi , can I ask you a question ? 

I already filed my 2020 tax return but it still has been processing by IRS, will they use info in this tax return for calculate my stimulus instead 2019 because this year I have dependent (my son) ?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Your 2020 tax return will be used to claim any missed payments in stimulus rounds one and/or two.  Those missed payments will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit on you 2020 tax return.  

Your 2020 tax return will be used to determine eligibility for the third round of stimulus payments.  The third round of stimulus payments will be sent via the method identified on your 2020 tax return (direct deposit or check).  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hemarbrc

Hi

i see my stimulus check pending in my bank account, but I still have not received my tax refund and I filed in 2/14 through you folks

its my tax refund I’m asking about not the stimulus check

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

IRS is currently very busy putting the new law into the tax code, processing 2020 returns, including the Recovery Rebate Credit, and now processing a Third Stimulus check.

They are releasing bits of information at a time.  We are doing our best to pass it on to you as soon as we know about it for sure.

Due to Covid, they have not even processed all the 2019 paper filed returns yet.

Again, here is the IRS link for verifying the Third Stimulus Check:

2021 Economic Impact Payment Status Available

Find when and how we sent your 2021 Economic Impact Payment with the Get My Payment tool.

IRS Link for Get My Refund

Here is a link to the Where's My Refund IRS tool:

IRS site for Where's My Refund

IRS has posted the following note on the Where's My Refund tool site:

COVID-19 Mail Processing Delays

It’s taking us longer to process mailed documents including:

• Paper tax returns, and
  • All tax return related correspondence.

We are processing all mail in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or call the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies