turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hey, I accidentally marked that I can be claimed as a dependent on my return. I learned after filing that my parents won't claim me. Will this affect my stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Hey, I accidentally marked that I can be claimed as a dependent on my return. I learned after filing that my parents won't claim me. Will this affect my stimulus check?

Yes, it will affect your stimulus check.  You would not be eligible for a stimulus payment.

According to the information on the IRS site, if you were claimed as a dependent or can be claimed as a dependent, then you will not be eligible for a stimulus payment.  Having checked the box on your return that you could be claimed as a dependent will disqualify you from receiving a stimulus payment.  

IRS - Economic Impact Payment

@bloomj

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, it will affect your stimulus check.  You would not be eligible for a stimulus payment.

According to the information on the IRS site, if you were claimed as a dependent or can be claimed as a dependent, then you will not be eligible for a stimulus payment.  Having checked the box on your return that you could be claimed as a dependent will disqualify you from receiving a stimulus payment.  

IRS - Economic Impact Payment

@bloomj

More2eat

I accidentally marked that I can be claimed. If I file an amended tax return, will I then qualify for the stimulus payment?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You should qualify for a stimulus payment once this is corrected.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies