Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brizzotti

Have not received my tax return that was filed in April 2019

I filed my tax returns before the deadline of April 15th 2019 and mailed them in. This was my first time filing taxes on my own, finally as 'single' from my mother since I was in college. I am not sure what step to take as it has been months and still have not gotten any notification.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

It takes about 4 weeks for a tax return that you print, sign and put in the mail to be entered into the IRS tracking system. Your's should have been entered in the system long ago. What does it say at the IRS tracking web site about the status of your refund? https://www.irs.gov/refunds

brizzotti

I have used the tracking site and they said they could not find info on my return status. i am not sure what is wrong. When I originally filed it and downloaded the return to mail in, it kept showing my mother's name instead of mine but had my social # and would not let me change it. But I figured worst comes to worst that it would be sent to her instead but neither of us have gotten it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

the problem is the name is your mother's but the social is yours.      the irs has no way of knowing if the name is right  and the social is wrong or vice versa.  so it may just be ignoring the return - both of you better hope this is the case because there are worse case scenarios in this  situation.     what you should have done was to cross out your mother's name and entered yours but even that might create issues with the IRS.   I know of no reason that TT wouldn't allow you to change name.   I'm sort of surprised that neither of you received IRS correspondence about this matter.   anyway, you can't file a 1040-X because correcting a name is not an option.  that leaves calling the IRS and asking for guidance.     call early in the day, because you could be on hold for hours. 

one other possibility is to contact the IRS tax advocate in your state.   

Here is the number to call the IRS: 800 829-1040

Here is how to contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1546.pdf                    877 777-4778

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies