turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Getting FPYMT-089 Rejection on amended return

I filed an amended federal return through turbotax desktop and it got rejected with an FPYMT-089 error telling me that my 'PaymentAmt' must not be more than 200% of 'OwedAmt'. When I open my return in turbotax, I'm not given any instruction on how to fix it. What values do I need to adjust and where? My amendment did not cause me to owe/get refunded any extra amount. I was just reporting non-deductible IRA contributions that were not included in my original return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies
tnortonjr

I have this exact issue and a related reason. Did you get an answer for this? I had to file an amended return due to a K-1 form I wasn't expecting just showing up. I also did not have an adjustment on the refund or payment side. Thanks.

Baw55

Anyone have an answer to resolving this issue?

Curious.. Did everyone have a net 0 amount due/refunded after filing the amendment?

If so, did you provide payment information at the end OR did you opt to “Pay later” via check.

I put payment information to my checking account and I wonder if that is what is causing this error.

Baw55

Yes I had a net 0 amount due/refunded after filing the amendment and yes I put payment information to my checking account.

Maybe try selecting the option to pay later via check and see if that helps? 

Baw55

I will try. Can't hurt.

Please let me know how it goes! 🤞

My amended tax return was also rejected with the same error.  I received a corrected brokerage statement after I'd filed my return that adjusted the cost of a sale by a few cents...not enough to change the amount of tax due.   The tax due = 0 on the amended return.  So , it appears I share a common problem in that I'm left wondering how to fix this. And ideas? 

@Baw55 did filing without payment information get accepted?

I re-submitted my amended return and it was accepted after I reset the payment settings from auto w/drawal to pay by check.  Hopefully, the IRS isn't expecting me to mail in a check for zero dollars and zero cents!!!!

ordairy

Solution: I had to amend a return because I got a K-1 from a trust after I had already filed.  I had $0 owed/refund & checked the 'bank withdrawal' box & the amended return was not accepted.  I changed it by checking the 'mail check' box & re-transmitted & it was accepted.

ordairy

See solution below.

ordairy

Read solution.

Hey @OregonGuy I'm getting the exact same error, apparently due to the exact same reason as I e-filed the amended return to provide the details of an 1099B statement covering my ESPP sales, that failed to get imported from my brokerage firm by TurboTax's import utility. I have zero refund/due amount.

Did you happen to get this resolved? I'm not feeling comfortable following the suggested workaround of using the "pay by check" option, when there's nothing to pay back.

Shouldn't TurboTax be seamlessly handling this automatically? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies