Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 8938 is missing in my federal tax return. How can this be fixed?

I was just able to make the form appear in the final report, then I logged out, logged back in, and it was gone! all of the accounts were reset!

Is anyone from TurboTax looking into this bug?? 

I'm expecting a refund if this isn't supported!

Has TT come up with a solution?   Form 8938 keeps on disappearing!

I spoke again with TT over the phone, and they still can't provide an ETA for resolution since the eng team is actively investigating this. My guess is that it's not really on their high priority list.

Since I couldn't take the risk that the fix won't land on time, I asked for a refund.

I am facing the same issue. I also tried through the other tax situations tab and reentered the data 3 times with lot of combinations (mogging out, different browser, cleared cache, jump to 8938, other tax situations) and each time the system is pushing me to efile. I previewed the forms generated before efile and found that 8938 info is missing completely. It also forcefully made the 'do you have financial foreign asset' selection to No.

There is no acknowledgement from TurboTax that it is a bug. What is more concerning for me that previous year returns could also be missing this form due to this bug that I did not discover until today.

This must be fixed with priority, Turbotax - please help urgently!

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

We are currently experiencing a known issue with this issue. Please click here to sign up to receive an alert once this issue is resolved. @ranjana.ds

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Carrisa, 

I've been getting the same response that it's a known issue and the team is investigating for 5 weeks now. It's hard to imagine that we couldn't solve this by this timeframe, so it feels more of a prioritization issue. Also, searching online shows that this problem also exited  in the past few years.

Can TurboTax provide an ETA for resolution? If not, can TurboTax add a warning during their registration process that they don't support form 8938 so people don't have to go through the entire process and find out about this at the end?
Just as an FYI, the fine for not submitting form 8938 can reach thousands of dollars, would TurboTax compensate people in case of such a fine by IRS?

All,

Just a quick update.   So frustrated with Turbo Tax - I have been on the phone with them for more than 2.5 hours - sharing my screen trying to complete Form 8938 using different methods,  clearing cache,  using different browsers,  using 'jump to 8938' from the search engine.   We tried more than 6 times and of course, the form kept on disappearing, but at least the Turbo Tax employee has been able to see it with his own eyes.    And again the same answer:  known issue and we are working on it,  but we can't give you an ETA.     I was recommended to file an extension and to wait for the solution so I would be able to file before October.   

What would be a good alternative to do electronic filing?

Exactly what happened with me, although I gave up after 1 hour over the phone, after they saw a live repro and all.

I ended up requesting a refund and went to a private CPA. 

Really disappointed from TurboTax.

nizuko

**bleep** I just filled this in twice, once on my original return, which I already filed. And now again for my amendment, which I would like to file except this form is missing.............. sigh.

cpzuhoski
Returning Member

I've already entered 15 Form 8938s, which were saved each time I reopened the Program until today All the forms are missing. Nothing else.  C Z

TurboTax is not prioritizing this and just losing customers. I've switched to a private CPA just because of this single form. I pay more, but my life are so much easier. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies