turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sfariane

Fix Federal Return tab states, "Form 1040-X cannot be filed electronically if there is a change in filing status." Can I amend my filing status online or only via mail?

Why is TurboTax not letting me file my 1040-X online when I originally e-filed back in April?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Fix Federal Return tab states, "Form 1040-X cannot be filed electronically if there is a change in filing status." Can I amend my filing status online or only via mail?

Previously the IRS did not allow Form 1040-X to be filed electronically if the filing status was changed. About a week ago the IRS announced that they were eliminating that restriction. TurboTax has not yet been updated for this very recent change in IRS policy. I don't know if it will be updated this year. For now, you have to file Form 1040-X by mail if you are changing the filing status.

@sfariane - and note a few things

1) the amendment backlog is probably 9-12 months

2) how are you changing the filing status?   You can't change from MFJ to another filing status, unless you filed for an extension prior to April 17.  Any other permutation of filing change is permissible. 

Dave202058
Returning Member

can I print out the forms

Dave202058
Returning Member

can i print out the forms for ga state ammended  forms

Juliajoe
Returning Member

this apparently has not been fixed?? Is it still not possible to file electronically if you amend for filing status?? I am trying to file an amended return going from MFS to MFJ ( joint) and I am not sure if I should transmit and also it wont let me enter banking info??

This limitation is imposed by IRS.

Form 1040-X does not have any place to put your bank info.

@Juliajoe 

Juliajoe
Returning Member

The info below is from the IRS website and questionnaire on amended returns?? So it makes me wonder if this is an IRS shortfall or Turbotax…..but it seems you cant do it with Turbotax

Is direct deposit available for electronically filed Form 1040-X?

Beginning in processing year 2023, Direct Deposit can be requested for electronically filed amended returns for tax year 2021 and tax year 2022. The bank account information should be entered on the electronically filed Form 1040-X (or Corrected Form 1040-SS/PR).

look again. you are reading about e-Filing.

You will be mailing a paper Form 1040-X

@Juliajoe 

Juliajoe
Returning Member

i am not following, I am talking about e filing and amended return….the sites you can amend 2022 forms electronically, it later says  direct deposit is available for electronically filed amended returns. this is contained in the following questionnaire on amended returns

Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, Frequently Asked Questions

Can I file my amended return electronically?

Yes. If you need to amend your 2020, 2021 or 2022 Forms 1040 or 1040-SR you can now file Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return electronically using available tax software products

Later it says

Is direct deposit available for electronically filed Form 1040-X?

Beginning in processing year 2023, Direct Deposit can be requested for electronically filed amended returns for tax year 2021 and tax year 2022. The bank account information should be entered on the electronically filed Form 1040-X (or Corrected Form 1040-SS/PR).

SO, is this a Turbo tax shortfall or what? Is there someone I can contact at Turbo tax to figure this out??

" Is it still not possible to file electronically if you amend for filing status??"

Yes, it is still not possible.

@Juliajoe 

Juliajoe
Returning Member

has this been updated inside turbo tax

Juliajoe
Returning Member

Any idea when this feature will be availoable in Turbo Tax, the IRS says you can do this commencing with 2022 returns??

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies