Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed non-filer, how to fix it

I mistakenly filed non-filer form when i was checking for stimulus package thing as i thought we need to do for if haven't filed 2019 tax return. Then i right away saw the criteria and next day e-file my return but it got rejected.

I filed paper base but forgot to sign it . It was my bad and was in rush.Now can i send them paper 1040 with signed and put cover letter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, go ahead and send another copy of your tax return.  In addition to being sure to sign it, do not forget to attach copies of your W-2s as well.  You can include a cover letter explaining that you are sending it again since the prior one was not signed.  

@shress13

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, go ahead and send another copy of your tax return.  In addition to being sure to sign it, do not forget to attach copies of your W-2s as well.  You can include a cover letter explaining that you are sending it again since the prior one was not signed.  

@shress13

Thank you  for your response. Well my stimulus check will be late as in 2018 also i owe a money so put my bank information and 2019 is also messed up :). Is it true that i will get late stimulus payment ?

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Your stimulus payment may take a bit. However, the IRS rolled out the "Get My Payment" tool here. According to IRS.gov, you can use the "Get My Payment" application to:

• Check your payment status
  • Confirm your payment type: direct deposit or check
  • Enter your bank account information for direct deposit if the IRS doesn't  have your direct deposit information and if they haven't sent your payment yet.
  • Receive paper check payments: If you moved since you last filed, let us know your new mailing address.

Thanks for the reply, i keep getting t

According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

The IRS updates Get My Payment data once per day, overnight, so there is no need to check more often if you are. If you are eligible for a payment and have provided your information either through a recent tax return or the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here application, please check back for updates.

If you don't receive the stimulus payment in 2020, you can always receive it as a credit on your 2020 return in 2021. The stimulus is actually an ADVANCE on a credit on your 2020 return. 

@shress13 

When you used the NON filer portal (even by accident)   you  FILED  a 2019 return  which is why the SECOND one you filed was REJECTED.   You CANNOT  just mail in the second return  .... you MUST mail in an amended return.  The column A of the 1040X must start with $1 bank interest and then you will add the rest of your information and MAIL in the amended return.  This will take 16 weeks or MORE to process once the IRS gets back to dealing with all the paper that is piling up right now. 

If you have already mailed in the second return then STOP !!!  Do nothing until the IRS responds to the second return one way or the other  ....  although it is not the correct things to do in this situation they MAY accept it ... but no one knows for sure not even the IRS at this time ... it is all brand new. 

Thanks for the response. If i have already send the document then i need to do? I have sent a explanation letter with originial 1040 with signature.

Another question is about paying IRS. I owe them money and i didn't send them check as i am planning to pay by online. Do i need to pay right away or need to wait till they accept my tax filing.

Please need urgent suggestion.

brittdart
Returning Member

How do i fix something on taxes that i shouldnt have done 

If IRS sees you did not sign, they will send it back for signature and put your return on hold.

IRS is way behind on paper returns.

You will probably get your return back soon to be signed.

meanwhile your second return is added to the pile and will be processed in the order received.

After all that you can file form 1040-X if there is still something that needs correction and that was not adjusted by the IRS for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies