turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed federal tax by mail. Checking federal tax refund status but asking a file date. What should provide

Date of mailing / Delivered by carrier / Preparation date / Sign date
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Filed federal tax by mail. Checking federal tax refund status but asking a file date. What should provide

You would need to provide the date you signed your return.  This should be noted on your filing as well. 

If you need further assistance, please post your questions here in the thread, and someone will reach out with the next steps.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I provided my sign date but it’s still not showing anything. It’s showing “verify your filing date”. 
I mailed both taxes (federal and state) with tracking on the same date. It has been delivered on 28th Feb. I just received my state return. But federal is not even showing anything. There is a logic if state accepted then definitely federal is accepted as well. 
Do I have any option to check about any status? It’s being so annoyed. 
Please give me more info and more clue how to track it down. 

Thanks much! 

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

You should only need your social security number, filing status and your refund dollar amount (make sure you enter your exact federal) to check your refund status on the Where's My Refund? page. You can get this number from your Form 1040, line 35a.

Since it has been more than 4 weeks since you mailed in your return, if still no luck, I would suggest contacting the IRS. You will find instructions on how to contact them in the link below:

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

Hi There - Thanks for the reply. I called them per your suggestion and went through automated line. I provided my tax info. They don't have any info for me. It's so weird. Should I mail them again or what's the option I have? Please suggest.

Thanks!

It is not so weird when you realize that the IRS has millions of unopened returns.  It may be a long time before they get to yours to even open it and put it into the system.  Until that happens it is sitting in a mail trailer somewhere and the IRS does not know you mailed it.

Hi There - I understand they get millions of mail but this is not unexpected. Per my tracking, it's showing my tax has been successfully delivered on 03/03. 

My question is what to do since unbale to get any info from IRS side - Should I mail my tax again to IRS?  

Please advise.

Thanks!

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please do not mail your return again to the IRS. As mentioned above, it takes a minimum of 4 weeks.  Please wait a bit longer and give them a call back to check on this again and see what the IRS advises you to do.  

IRS: 800-829-1040  

Hours: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM, local time

Monday-Friday

• Listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • First choose your language. Press 1 for English.
  • Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or, you can visit your local IRS Office

@aarzoo-manoosi

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks much for the reply. I called them and followed exactly what you advised. They are not accepting a call right now. I will try later as well.

But I will also try to get an appointment to visit physically. Keep you posted.

Thanks much!

Hi There - I tried to call IRS helpline and didn’t get any luck there. I tried to call to get the appointment for my local IRS office and didn’t get any luck. This is too bad. I don’t understand why either of them are not working: Per my tax mail, I used the tracking and tracking is showing mail has been delivered to IRS. Per my IRS online account, it’s showing I didn’t file my tax return. 
What should I do? It’s so weird. Let me know.

Thanks! 

@aarzoo-manoosi 

You have to WAIT.

IRS has a serious backlog.

While waiting find something else to do with your time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies