turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed 2020 taxes on Feb 11.return still " processing" I had a baby in 2020 and they weren't counted in my march stimulus. Will I have to file amended return to get it ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Filed 2020 taxes on Feb 11.return still " processing" I had a baby in 2020 and they weren't counted in my march stimulus. Will I have to file amended return to get it ?

Filing an amended return is only for your taxes I believe.  You question is tricky but can be simple if you speak with a turbo tax live professional online. 

It is possible to claim a newborn as a dependent only if they were born at any time during the tax year. 

"Can you add a child to your taxes after filing?
Yes. You can file an amended return this year and you may add dependents to any of the past three years returns or within two years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. To add or change the number of your qualifying dependents, you must do the following: Print and mail all amended returns".

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

If your qualifying dependent was on your 2020 tax return then you will be eligible for the round one and two stimulus payments (500 and 600) for the dependent.  If you did not already receive the payments for that qualifying child then they will be added to your 2020 tax return as a Recovery Rebate Credit.  You can check line 30 of your form 1040 to see the credit amount on your 2020 return. 

You will also be eligible for a round three stimulus payment (1400) for the child which will be sent separately.  

Below are the qualifying rules for a dependent stimulus payments.  

At this point the IRS guidance is not file an amendment for stimulus payments.  If there are stimulus misstatements/miscalculations on the return then the IRS will make the corrections and notify the taxpayer of the changes and send any missing payments.  

Here is a link for reference. 

• Taxpayers who are eligible to claim this credit must list the name and Social Security number for each dependent on their tax return.
  • The child must be younger than 17 on the last day of the tax year, generally Dec 31.
  • The child must be the taxpayer’s son, daughter, stepchild, foster or adopted child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother or half-sister. An adopted child includes a child lawfully placed with them for legal adoption. They can also include grandchildren, nieces or nephews.
  • The child must have not provided more than half of their own support for the year.
  • The taxpayer must claim the child as their dependent on their federal tax return.
  • The child cannot file a tax return for the same year with the status married filing jointly, unless the only reason they are filing is to claim a refund.
  • The child must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national or a U.S. resident alien.
  • In most cases, the child must have lived with the taxpayer for more than half of 2020. (if born in 2020 then considered to have lived with taxpayer the whole year).

@chris-52085

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies