turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Federal return rejected: Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction on Schedule 1: Additional Income and Adjustments to Income

Is this fixed yet, three- four weeks ago my taxes seemed done, today I opened up TT, it ask to be updated, I did, now I have error message about self employment health insurance deduction as negative $2.00 error says can not be less than zero, can not find way to fix it, negative amount seems to be calculated by TT, PLEASE HELP, eight hours into this problem.

THANKS

Federal return rejected: Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction on Schedule 1: Additional Income and Adjustments to Income

I am dealing with the same issue.
Return was rejected in April and I received the TT message that it would be resolved on 4/30. It's Tuesday 5/11 and I have not received the 5/7 update.  Should I wait until the last minute (Sunday/Monday) or attempt to refile now or file an extension?
If it is incorrect and accepted, what exactly will happen?  

Thanks!

I'm having the very same problem as racelawn (above). Two weeks ago my return was complete, checked, and ready for e-file. I opened turbotax today, got the latest updates, double-checked all my numbers in preparation for e-filing, and the smartcheck turns up the same -$2 in the same place as you. I've triple-checked everything, and all my numbers are correct. The fact that you're having an identical problem with the very same amount makes it pretty clear that this is a software glitch, not an error on my part.

Same problem as @racelawn and @smallholder. Just started my return today and I'm getting a negative number in the "self employed health deduction" field (though mine is -4). I try changing it to a zero and it ultimately just loops me back with the same problem and a -4 in the field again. No way to figure out where that number is coming from. 

Same problem as @redeyed32 & everyone above, with the filing deadline just around the corner.  Called TurboTax but the agent was completely clueless, which means TurboTax either doesn't look at these messages or they don't train their support employees. 

Will be trying H&R Block software which was recommended as it doesn't have this glitch. Person recommending said TurboTax won't fix this as it doesn't affect the majority of their users. 

I got this from another TT user. I would recommend backing up your work before you try it, it seemed to fix my problem, however, if I closed TT and reopen problem came back, you just need to go thru steps again, and double check it before you file, hope it helps. Here it is

I received a follow-up e-mail from the Turbotax CPA with instructions that cleared the -2 and solved the problem. Not sure if this applies to you, but it worked for me. Here are her instructions:

In the Step by Step Questions - go to Deductions & Credits; I'll choose what I work on; Medical; Affordable Care Act (form 1095-A); Update; Edit; complete form; Continue; Let us know if these situations apply to you; uncheck I'm self-employed and bought a Marketplace plan; continue

This action removes the error and the negative number on the return. It simply eliminates the rounding error that is occurring.

I got this from another TT user. I would recomend backing up your work before you try it, it seemed to fix my problem, however, if I closed TT and reopen problem came back, you just need to go thru steps again, and double check it before you file, hope it helps. Here it is

I received a follow-up e-mail from the Turbotax CPA with instructions that cleared the -2 and solved the problem. Not sure if this applies to you, but it worked for me. Here are her instructions:

In the Step by Step Questions - go to Deductions & Credits; I'll choose what I work on; Medical; Affordable Care Act (form 1095-A); Update; Edit; complete form; Continue; Let us know if these situations apply to you; uncheck I'm self-employed and bought a Marketplace plan; continue

This action removes the error and the negative number on the return. It simply eliminates the rounding error that is occurring.

As of yesterday morning 5/12, TT had still not updated since May 5/1. I did some research and found out that you can manually update by going to TT site. I received the latest updates and my refund totals went down slightly, so I know something was adjusted. I plan to refile today. 

Lindsay B
Returning Member

Has the problem been fixed? My software says it is current. When I check for errors, Turbo Tax tells me I have none. Do I just need to re-efile??

Thanks @racelawn I will try that later. 

Awesome @racelawn, this fixed the issue & Turbo says I'm good to file! Thank you kindly!

Looks like it worked, thank you @racelawn !!

Both Federal and State were accepted yesterday after the manual update. 

Thanks @racelawn, I hit thanks on your post but I was only the second person to do so, which is somewhat dismaying.  You deserve a few hundred thanks at least.   Also dismaying is that TurboTax staff can't be bothered to address this fault, which I notice has been drawing queries from users for two months now. 

I would like to know why am getting rejected every time

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies