turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

louisleichter909
Returning Member

Estimated Taxes for 2020

My wife and I are retired. We filed our Federal and State for 2019 and are trying to calculate our Estimated taxes for 2020. Our income consists of one pension, two IRA distributions, two Social Security distributions, interest, and dividends. We take the standard deduction. When I use the estimated taxes feature on our 2019 edition of Turbo it assumes we have wages, which we do not. and seems not to have a taken into account we are retired and only 85% of our social security is taxed.  How does one handle 2020 estimated taxes if one is retired and collecting Social Security?.

What I did was re-save my 2019 tax forms as ESTIM-2020 and change the amounts that I will receive in 2020 for the pension, IRAs, and Social Security. Is this an acceptable way to calculate 2020 Estimated Taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

Estimated Taxes for 2020

Yes, that is an acceptable way to estimate your taxes for 2020. 

One confusing aspect of the W-4 and Estimated taxes section in TurboTax is that you are asked about Form W-4 first, which does not apply if you are retired. If you answer the question, Do you want to review your W-4 forms? No, it moves on to ask about other income you expect to receive in 2020.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Estimated Taxes for 2020

Can I do estimated taxes for 2020 in 2019 Turbo Tax? I retired in January and everything changed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies