Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-File was rejected because of "duplicate" 1099-R forms.

I wouldn't do +$1 and -$1 from the two accounts if you have this issue due to a "back door Roth" for different  individuals (Husband and Wife).

GAPSenior

I have 2 1099-R, one regular IRA one Roth IRA.  Same amount, same payer, but all of the other boxes different.  After two rejections, I added $0.01 to the Roth distribution amount and it was accepted by the FED and State in less than an hour.

I think that this is a TT issue. 

This year, I will make sure the distribution amount are totally different in case TT has not gotten around to correcting the issue.

I'll add to the growing chorus of the penny club.  I had three 1099-Rs that looked exactly like three others, which triggered rejections.  So I changed the three by 1 little penny, and Feds accepted it.  I'm crossing my fingers that an audit won't be triggered, but I hedged my bet by popping for the audit defense from TT.  Good luck, you penny pinchers!

• It is a Turbo Tax Incompetence. I run the review, it tells me that everything is perfect and then get the rejection. Last time that I waste a penny on Intuit. They should be transparent with whatever issue this is. I will add the penny see what happens.

OK, I caved in and did the penny trick.  Altering the payer name slightly didn't work. 

This is completely unacceptable.  It's getting harder to justify continued use of TT every year.

I searched for this problem for H&R Block users and got no hits so I'm hesitant to blame IRS.

Monty,

Thanks for your input. I did as you, added a penny and the transaction was accepted in about 30 minutes. 

Since imitation is a good form of compliment, I will follow your idea of switching to H&R for next year.

Thanks

So irritating.  Trying the 1 cent thing to get them to go through.  This is attempt 5. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/electronic-filing/help/why-am-i-getting-a-1099-r-duplicate-rejecti...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
tc32
Level 2

How did you know which was duplicated? I have the same issue as all prior messages. The TT rep says its a IRS issue. I said TT should have the same filters or edits as the IRS has. We were then disconnected.

I cannot find any duplicates.

The same box 1 amount on 2 1099-R's.

TurboTax knows it is a TurboTax issue which is why they issued the above link that I posted.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

In my case it was the amounts that it was flagging.  I had two $6000 1099-R's, one for me and one for my wife.  Added one cent to one of them and they were accepted.   TT was useless for help, was the folks here that helped me.  They were useless last year too btw.  When your taxes get even the slightest bit complicated and you're not fairly well versed in tax strategy or law I think it's time to find a cpa...

I actually suspect its an IRS issue.  Presumably, IRS got the identical 1099-Rs that I did.  They are very similar... same amounts, but some code differences.  From USAA.   The penny trick worked for me as far as IRS accepting the return.  I just hope I don't get audited.

This is definitely a TT bug, as reported by @macuser_22 TT has acknowledged the issue and you can sign up for progress reports here:  Why am I getting a 1099-R Duplicate rejection error message when my 1099-R's aren't duplicated? 

I have relearned an important lesson about reading these threads; always check the end of the thread before reading the whole thing!! 

So, Turbo Tax ( @GabiU ?), how about free audit defense for those of us who resorted to tweaking the 1099-R box 1 amounts to work around this bug? 

Incidentally, my first attempt to work around this by changing the box 1 amount failed. I changed one "duplicate" 1099-R by 1 cent and resubmitted. It was rejected again, however when I examined the file, I found that I somehow resubmitted the original untweaked amounts. I'm not really sure how that happened, but I suspect that it was because I made the change in forms view, and I only changed box 1. I did that because the step-by-step method forces me to reenter answers to questions that it doesn't save (probably because these are inherited IRAs). So, for my second attempt, I used the wizard to tediously reenter all of the answers, and I also updated both box 1 and box 2a (gross distribution and taxable amount). I have higher hopes for this attempt...

It only took TT 5 weeks to acknowledge the bug.  This sounds like confirmation they falsely ascribed the rejection to the IRS, when it was really an internal TurboTax check.  The entire time it appears support provided unhelpful answers.  If the IRS had not moved the filing deadline this would not have been acknowledged, nevermind fixed in time.   They couldn't even alert this thread when the posted an acknowledgement of the bug.

I won't be using TurboTax again in the future.  Bugs happen in software, but the handling of this issue has been abysmal.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies