Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-file rejected IND-517-01 and multiple dependent SSNs

My e-file was rejected with the code IND-517-0. We do suspect that our oldest daughter's info was compromised due to a data breach. However, we don't know for sure that it is her SSN that is causing the rejection? According to TurboTax (download version) it indicates that I should be able to tell which dependent's info is in question because a bracketed number will be placed next to it, but where? There seems to be no indication anywhere in the forms where this has occurred. It would be nice to know so I am sure which of my dependents social security numbers have been subject to a fraudulent  tax filing.  None of my dependents file taxes yet and their SSN's are correct. However, Turbotax says a number in brackets should tell me which dependent SSN is the problem [1] for the first listed or [2] for the 2nd listed. But again, where is this found in the software?  It seems I'll have to file a paper return, but I'd like to not have to wait for the IRS to look at my paper return and then send me a letter in order to take action. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

The first dependent on your return is causing the Efile reject.  This is designated by the 01 at the end of the error message.

Here's more info. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

12 Replies
ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

For help fixing e-file reject IND-517-01 please visit the help article below. Scroll down to the My dependents info is correct, but they didn't file a return section.

How do I fix e-file reject IND-517-01? - Intuit

I have read all of that article. I know what the error message is saying. My question is related to how do I tell which SSN is the problem? My point is simply that TurboTax seems to indicate that it can point out which of the dependent SSN's listed is the one in question by the IRS. Am I missing something?  See the paragraph "If multiple dependents are present..." It implies that Turbotax can show me the problematic SSN, but where in the software will it do that?Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 4.01.22 PM.png

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

The first dependent on your return is causing the Efile reject.  This is designated by the 01 at the end of the error message.

Here's more info. 

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to know.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

On behalf of Marilyn, you're welcome and we are glad the information helped.

What should the next step be after checking to insure the "-01" dependent's information is correct? 

Thank you

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If the information is correct then your dependent has been the victim of identity theft.  You have a whole lot of different things you should do but it starts with printing the return and filing it by mail.  You won't be able to efile and claim that dependent.

This article has all the links you'll need to deal with identity theft.  The sooner you get started the sooner you'll be able to figure out how bad it is.

Sorry,  Good luck.

@NickR540I 

That's what I was afraid of.  Thank you very much for your reply!

In my case this error is pretty straight-forward.  My daughter is a student and thus has pretty simple taxes.  I whipped through hers and was not paying close enough attention and failed to check the box indicating someone else can claim her as a dependent (me).  So far so bad.  I amended her return to indicate someone else can claim her as a dependent and resubmitted her amended return which was then accepted.  I was expecting the IRS to have noticed this fix and therefore allow me to submit my return with her listed as a dependent on my return but no dice.  I still get this error.  Is it a question of waiting until IRS sorts out their feelings or is my only option to print my return and submit by mail?  

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Since your daughter's return has already been sent, this will not allow yours to be e-filed. You will need to print yours off and send it in the mail. 

Please let us know if we can further assist you. @msgrinnell 

Thank you.  That's exactly what we did and everything has been accepted accordingly.

You will have to submit your return by US Mail.  That worked for us - accepted w/o issue.  Thank yoiu

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies