turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gshforever
Returning Member

e-file got rejection after deadline, can't fix it and has to go paper way. If I own money to state, does it count a late?

I e-file my return (Federal, NJ and NY) on 2020.05.16 night, but got rejected on 2020.05.17 morning. Did research and resubmitted and it's pending. Based on my research, we have 5 grace period days trying to fix and resubmit. My question is: if we're not able to e-file the return no matter what, we can still do paper way after the deadline, if IRS/State (NY) owns me money, is that correct? Do I need to attach some kind of explanation about this with paper filing?

However, for NJ state of mine, I own money to the state. Since it passes the deadline (get rejection after 5.17), what should we do? Does doing paper way with paycheck to the state count a late? Can I attach some kind of explanation about this for the paper filing? I think it's not my fault. Please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

e-file got rejection after deadline, can't fix it and has to go paper way. If I own money to state, does it count a late?

You are actually not late.  The deadline is today, May 17, 2021.  So, there is more time to see if it is accepted through electronic filing before you have to consider filing by mail.  

If you do need to file by mail, getting a postmark of May 17 is considered a timely filing.

Take a look at the following TurboTax article and the ones linked at the bottom of the article for more advice about what to do next:

What if I e-filed before May 17, but my return got rejected after the deadline?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gshforever
Returning Member

Thanks for quick response. However, I'm asking is because I have been rejected twice this morning (submitted last night 5.16). The error code and message is the same: IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records. 

I did retrieve the return transcript from IRS through my account an hour ago, and the AGI number exactly matches. The only thing is that I did paper way for last year tax return (2019) as there's something TurboTax couldn't handle and I need to print and did paper way. Thought it took a long time to process, I'm seeing all information of last year shows up in IRS's own website when I requested tax return transcript. The only thing I'm guessing is that IRS' e-file is a separated system and pointing to a different database, which is missing my correct AGI information.

So basically I'm asking the question in advance to be prepared for the worst case. Please help with my original question: Will paper way be counted as late after the deadline if all e-file tries fail.

In the meantime, based on my research, I'm trying to enter 0 as the last year AGI, if it still doesn't work, the last alternative option is to say we did not file 2019 return. Either way, it's just trying to identify with what the IRS system has on file at this point in time. Reference: https://www.efile.com/tax-service/tax-return-rejection-codes/ind-031-04/

Please suggest and help.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Putting in 0 has fixed this for many because IRS processing in 2019 got very behind for many.  Hopefully this works.  However, there is a grace period to fix rejects, and if yours is ultimately rejected you have 5 business days to either resolve the rejection or mail it in and it will not be late.

gshforever
Returning Member

Hi, Danielv01

Yep, good news that my Federal just got approved after I entered 0... Geez, IRS is so rich but still has poor IT:) Hopefully, my state will be accepted soon (both got rejected because the Federal couldn't passed through).

Thanks

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

So are we!  Good luck!

gshforever
Returning Member

Hi, Daniel

My Federal and NY got accepted. Thanks. I have a question about my NJ return, which I own the state some money.

I just reviewed the return document being downloaded from TurboTax, NJ part. I don't see anywhere contains the bank checking account information I provided during the filing process. I clearing remembered that, I provided checking information when TurboTax asked if I prefer the State do deduct those owned tax directly form my checking account, and I assume that I don't need to mail the check to pay for it as the old way. 

Please help guide. Does the payment for tax due handled properly? Do I still need to make the check for NJ state tax due?

Thanks.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Look for Form NJ-8879 in your New Jersey paperwork.  Since you owe and are presumably having the tax withdrawn from your bank, your bank information might be on that form.  But we don't have access to your return, your account or paperwork.  So if you need verification on that detail, you may wish to contact customer support.

gshforever
Returning Member

I don't see the Form NJ-8879 in the downloaded tax return document. Does that mean, NJ state has no way to deduct the due based on the e-filing, and I need to pay for it by myself? If that's the case, I assume we could pay it online through the below by the midnight today? Thanks a lot.

https://www1.state.nj.us/TYTR_RevTaxPortal/jsp/IndTaxLoginJsp.jsp

After login, I see options including " Electronic Check Payment - NJ Gross Income Tax Returns (1040/1040NR/1041)", which allow you to enter routing & account info and make the payment.

If the NJ e-file status is still pending, should I go ahead and make the payment by the midnight? 

Thanks a lot

gshforever
Returning Member

Anyone? Help! Thanks.

DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

It is possible for your federal return to be rejected by the IRS, and your state return to be accepted.  In fact I had that happen yesterday with a Georgia return.  If that turns out to be the case, then your payment would be drafted by New Jersey even if you pay online.  I would wait and see if your New Jersey return is accepted, and if it is, you've got nothing to worry about.  If it is rejected, then file by mail and pay by check or online.  Include a statement with your return as to why the payment is late.  If they assess a penalty for late payment, appeal it.

gshforever
Returning Member

Thanks @DavidD66 My concern is:

• I was asked and did provide bank info to pay for NJ tax due during e-file process
  • After e-filed, I downloaded the document but I'm not seeing anywhere of NJ tax forms contain my bank info. So, assume NJ file is accepted, how NJ will be able to deduct my tax due without my bank info?

Please guide. Should I wait until NJ is accepted and see if my bank account will be charge? If it's not charged, after like 15 days, for example, should I mail the payment with explanation (as it's kind of late payment) or pay online? How TurboTax handles the automatic tax due payment? Why I was asked to provide bank info before e-file, but not see any bank info in the filed document?

Thanks a lot!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies