turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Direct Deposit of Stimulus: Paid via TurboTax

TT offers an option of paying for preparing your return from the refund itself.  As I explained, by the time we were done with our return and it's complexities, the fee was more than we expected but since we were also getting back more than we expected, we said 'awww eff ' it and decided to just pay the fee that way.

What happens is I fill in my bank info, but the actual bank info on my return when filed is TT's.  So when the IRS pays the refund, they pay TT.  TT then gets the money that is our return, removes the fees due, and forwards the rest to our account.

So when our refund was deposited via direct deposit it came from TT, not the federal government.

I believe what they’re referring to is when you have the fee for filing with turbo tax  taken out of your refund it goes through Santa Barbara bank. So the IRS has that banking information not your personal bank info that Santa Barbara sends your deposit to. 

I did the same thing - had my fees taken out of my refund - but when I look at my return that was filed, the direct deposit info is my account and routing number for the TurboTax prepaid debit card Green Dot bank. I wonder why yours is different?

Starr0907

• You will more than likely be getting a paper check then.  Fees and advances went through a 3rd party company (Santa Barbara) so when they go to deposit the money it will come back that the account is closed and in turn the irs will then send out a paper check to the address you have on file. I don't have the link but you can Google the info for Santa Barbara co. You may be able to correct the bank info when the irs portal comes up but if your already scheduled to get it there's nothing you can do but wait for the paper check
MarieD

I filed in February 2020 and have used TT for years always with my same personal bank acct. Owed this year so it was direct debit. Had no TurboTax fees. It’s says they don’t have my bank info. So appears your answer is wrong.

MarieD

Sorry about auto correct. IRS says it doesn’t have my bank info

PJ15

I don't use a Turbo Tax Card.  I didn't have Turbo Tax take fees out of my refund.  I used Direct Deposit for my refund (which I have received).  What is happening to my stimulus payment?

Well... sounds like no one at Turbo Tax is answering this question correctly.  Leonard was beyond useless, giving completely inaccurate information.  And the only possible answer is a get a pre-paid credit card with the stimulus?  I'm sure my landlord will accept that for rent.  Thanks.

Turbo Tax is getting named directly in problems for thousands (if not millions) of customers, and still nothing useful on the website to address it.  Safe to say NEVER using Turbo Tax again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/16/coronav[product key removed]lus-check/

• Thata not what he is saying. Turbotax sets up temporary bank accounts for our refunds because we opted to pay them out of our tax refund. So when our refunds are sent out they go to turbotax temporary accounts first then they disburse the rest to our bank accounts so the irs doesn't have our bank info.  What I want to know is when they will fix this problem so i can get the stimulus money  i will not be using turbotax again bad customer service RIP off good day everyone and turbotax just fix this bs.

ive been thru this battle with turbo trash. in a nut shell they **bleep**ed up and legally they can get sued if they admit to mistake and get in trouble for giving the government false information. so your not getting a dime until they figured out a way to pay you and cover their ass

@stevie19811981 

Try the Get My Payment portal again. 

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

I got nothing but the "We can't verify your eligibility" error for over a week when I didn't get the stimulus, but the IRS apparently rolled out big updates to the software Thursday thru Saturday night.  Yesterday instead of the verify error I got a screen telling me I needed to give them my direct deposit information.  So they fixed something... give it one more shot.

finweg00
Returning Member

Also, if you owe exactly no tax and don't have a refund, there's no option to put your direct deposit information on the 1040 form. Even if you try to edit the 1040 form manually, TT doesn't let you type the numbers in those boxes.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

Use the link below to update your information for the stimulus payment.  Be sure to use the correct link for a tax return filer.  You will be able to enter your direct deposit information or any other updates to your mailing address in this section.

IRS Stimulus payment registration portal

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
finweg00
Returning Member

HI Jotika,

I read the "frequently asked questions" on this page to get this answer:

You can select either “I received a refund” or “I owed money” and enter 0 for the “Refund Amount or Amount You Owed.”

For other people who may come across this situation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies