Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Did TurboTax screw me out of the third $1400 stimulus check? Please help.

So last year (2019) I filled out the Non Filer Form here on TurboTax and I entered in my banking information. It was basically a simple 2019 Tax Return that you can enter in your banking information. By doing that I was able to get the $1200 and $600 stimulus check directly deposited into my bank account. I didn't know if they were going to go off the 2019 Tax Returns or the 2020 Tax Returns so back in Feb 15 I filled out a 2020 Tax Return. I didn't work in 2020 so I filed that I had $1 income since you can't efile with $0. TurboTax never asked me to enter in my banking information for my 2020 Tax Returns. It was automatically pulling information from my 2019 Tax Return. Both Federal and State accepted my 2020 Tax Returns.

Anyways today the Get My Payment tool is up to check if you're getting a direct deposit for the the third stimulus check worth $1400 and when I entered in my personal information and it tells me Payment Status - No Available. Did something happen when I was efiling my 2020 Tax Return with TurboTax that screwed me out of the third stimulus check for $1400? I am NOT claimed as a dependent on any other tax forms so I should qualify.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

TurboTax hasn't done anything to you. You are the one that filed a 2020 $1 tax return unnecessarily and without any guidance or reason to do so. 

First, don't panic, as the IRS has only been issuing the third round of payments for a few hours now. 

Second, while I can't say with certainty it is likely by filing a 2020 $1 tax return that you deleted the bank information that the IRS had on file and will get this payment by check.  

TurboTax wouldn't ask you for direct deposit information on a $1 return with no refund, because there is no direct deposit to be made.  This isn't just TurboTax, it is any software.  

Since by now I assume your 2020 turn has fully processed the "blank" info that was in the bank information on your unnecessary 2020 return is likely to be in the place where your previous bank information was filed.

We do not yet know if the IRS will open another portal for people to provide direct deposit information if it is not available, but in your case I would give the tool about a week and check again to see if you have an update.  It is possible that their system is set to search 2019 for an account if the 2020 file is blank which would just have you in a later round than the very first batch.  

"Worst" case is you will get a check or debit card in a few weeks.

But to be clear TurboTax didn't screw you out of anything - any delay in your payment reaching you is not because of anything TurboTax did it would be directly the result of what YOU did.  

Is there a chance TurboTax just auto filled in my banking information with the 2020 return when efiled it? I remember the software saying something like "Gathering all your information" which seems like it was autofilling some of the stuff I had from the 2019 Non Filer form?

When I go to the Get My Refund tool it said "Your tax return is still being processed." when I enter in my information. I don't know if this is normal for people that file a tax return and don't get a refund or if this means they haven't filed my 2020 Return yet.

Based off the information I provided I should qualify for the Stimulus Check right? What should I do if in a couple of weeks I still see the Payment Status - Not Available and don't get any check or debit card?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If your refund included earned income credit, additional child tax credit, or stimulus, your refund is expected to be delayed. See Why is my IRS refund taking longer than 21 days? and When will I get my stimulus check?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
changed56

My case is slightly different.  I am doing tax return for 2 grandsons with similar income of $40000 gross for 2021.  Both have received their $1400 stimulus checks in March 2021.  The $1400 did not affect one return with a refund unchanged.  On the other grandson, the tax refund was reduced by $1400.  The recovery form was completed the same except for different person.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It sounds like you may have inadvertently entered $2800 rather than $1400 for the second grandson or some other error.  Be sure to edit your entries by going to federal review and see if there is something you may have missed. 

@changed56

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies