Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CP30

I received a CP30 letter on failure to pay proper estimated tax penalty. Why do I get that this year? If I understand correctly, it's the penalty for not putting enough tax withholding in my paycheck. I don't recall I had the option to decide the amount for withholding. It was all done by my employer. If they didn't put enough there, why am I getting the penalty?

Thanks for the info.

cpliu

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

CP30

You can always have more withheld from a job ...  especially if you have income where there is no withholding ...

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/IRS-Withholding-Calculator  

Understanding Your CP30 Notice

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp30-notice

CP30

Thanks for the answer. This is the first time I got this penalty, why didn't I get it the previous years? Would losing the job in October and receiving an extra 3 months of pay has anything to do with it?

I only needed to tell HR the total person with x independent at the end of each year. I should use the estimator to compare the withholdings from both paycheck and estimate in IRS in the future then. 

Thanks,

CP30

Yes ... having more income than normal can affect credits on the return so you would not have the same refund.  Print off a copy of the 1040 for both tax years to see exactly what was different between the two tax years.  If you don't understand the differences post back which lines on which form is confusing you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies