turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Gsnow77
Returning Member

COVID Stimulus Payment:(Please allow people who used Turbocard to change our Payment method to avoid having our stimulus payments delayed by having to receive it by mailed check

Turbo gave me a prepaid is my stimulus check will be on my card turbo issue out that how i filed

COVID Stimulus Payment:(Please allow people who used Turbocard to change our Payment method to avoid having our stimulus payments delayed by having to receive it by mailed check

@bpeck1 actually you are wrong that is the joy of the turbo card it is an federally insured bank. it is Green Dot bank which is a member of the FIDC

@Shan3234 

This could be true and it could not. There are people who had fees taken out from SBTPG with Taxslayer and got their stimulus deposit already on their cards. SBTPG uses the same process for all of the tax companies they work with, so why would these people get their deposits? I am just asking a question as they also have prepaid debit cards.

What happens if my father of my kids sister had my kids for 2019  & filed for my kids .. but as of December of 2019 My children have been back with me because she ended up going to jail for burglary n shoplifting n since I was doing better n making better choices then her my kids got to come back with me since I got a apartment for them to live in now too but they been w me the past 5 months ya not fair if she gets the money for them n I have no income at all right now ... do you guys know if she willl automatically get stimulus check for my kids since she filed taxes for them???? Plz I need more info I am in need of the money n I know if she does end up getting it she will not be considerate n help me out since I have the kids back home w me bc she wanted them so she can get a paycheck n since I messed tht up by her messing up she is mad at me 😪😪😪

https://www.sbtpg.com/coronavirus-stimulus-payment-info/

look!! santa Barbara tax products group, is a green dot company! and sbtpg is of Santa Barbara bank company! Im done!  Im not trying to be an ass, just want people to be prepared! I need the money to! But I read it in black and white and just wanted to help! TT + fee or refund advance + turbo prepaid visa debit card = CHECK BY MAIL!! Research what ive posted. Do what ive directed.  You will see. Everybody, hang in there. We will get thru this delay...:)

@Shan3234  not quite true the wording is specific and says a card issued by them ( which is the walmart money card) your turbo card is issued by turbo tax not them meaning if you had no fees turbo tax would still issue you a card. turbo tax provides SBTPG with the card info but they are the ones who issued you your card not SBTPG

@Shan3234  and on the website it says if you have a debit card issue through SBPTG you will get a paper check and the TT cards ARE NOT issue through SBPTG.

I am also not trying to be disagreeable, but SBTPG was acquired by Green Dot. SBTPG has to say over how Green Dot operates nor do they issue the Turbo/Intuit cards. They are issued as a collaboration between Intuit and Green Dot. At this point all we can do is pray for the best results.

Yes and No, sorry it’s been a minute since I worked in that industry and wasn’t aware that their was an update and change of laws as of last year to allow prepaid accounts same options as bank accounts. Below is a huge paragraph that explains the differences as to why a prepaid card is not the same as a bank checking account. You have the option of having your account function the same way as a bank account is set up. However most companies when they send customers a refund for a Payment they paid using a ach payment method if it was a prepaid account they will tell you your refund will attempt and then reject and your payment will be sent to you via mailed check. That is because the IRS and other companies like your insurance company utility company etc, they are not usually set up to transact refunds through third parties. Prepaid cards usually use a bank as a third party to transact. For prepaid accounts it has to meet a certain criteria in order to be insured by the FDIC deposit insurance. So this is why the IRS will not deposit it to your prepaid account I am assuming because even if they are insured maybe they are not in states are because they don’t verify identities on all cards they sell etc. 

A number of entities market prepaid cards that state they offer FDIC deposit insurance to cardholders. The following information is intended to help consumers better understand FDIC deposit insurance coverage for prepaid cardholders.

When does FDIC deposit insurance apply to my prepaid card?

• The prepaid card must be registered with the card issuer so that the FDIC can identify the cardholder should the bank fail.
  • FDIC deposit insurance coverage only applies when a bank fails.
  • Your funds are insured by the FDIC if specific deposit insurance requirements* are met.

When would FDIC deposit insurance not apply to your funds?

As stated above, FDIC deposit insurance coverage applies only when a bank fails. Please remember that deposit insurance does not apply in other situations, such as where your card is lost or stolen or your card provider declares bankruptcy. However, in those situations, other legal options may be available to you to pursue recovery of your funds. These options may be discussed in your account agreement.

*Deposit insurance requirements:

In order for the funds on your prepaid card to be insured, certain requirements must be met:

• the account records at the FDIC-insured bank must disclose that the prepaid card provider is serving as the custodian on behalf of the cardholders;
  • the records of the FDIC-insured bank, custodian or other party must disclose the identities of the actual owners of the funds (you, the cardholder) and the amount owned by you
  • the deposits must be owned (under the agreements among the parties) by you and the other cardholders of the prepaid cards

If these three requirements are met, your funds will be insured up to $250,000 (together with any other funds in the same right and capacity that you (the cardholder) may have established in another deposit account in the same bank)

The $500 payment per child, like the individual payments, is based on 2019 taxes. So parents who welcomed babies into the world in the first months of this year won't get money for them now and same with parents who got custody of their children or who now have them in their care full time. Instead, you will likely get $500 in credits next year when you file your 2020 taxes.

You can try to legally fight it for the stimulus check to be shared however you would need to weight the cost of legal fees and if it is worth it. 

To anamarierendon97- lastly here is your Hail Mary option and so only if you meet this criteria you can use non filer tool on irs website.  Good luck (Lower income): Among those who could use Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info tool are those who haven't filed a 2018 or 2019 return because they are under the normal income limits for filing a tax return. This may include single filers who made under $12,200 and married couples making less than $24,400 in 2019.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here

@Shan3234 I enter my info and nothing came up. The message read no info found. Which leads me to believe this only applies to those that got their refund directly through sbbt. I did not. However, my tax return info matches my information through turbocard. They are exact. I think this applies differently by each state.  O could be wrong but sbbt have no record of me or my refund coming through them

That is absolutely not true!

Many people have already received there stimulus on there turbo card.

Have not read anything in this forum thread?

Not true!

People have already started receiving it on there turbo cards!!!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies