Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bevmo94

Claimed $600 Recovery Rebate when I filed taxes yesterday, but just got my stimulus check in the mail. What do I do? Do I not cash the check and destroy it? Amend? Help!

I had monitored the Get my payment tool and had a new bank account by the time of the second round of payments. So I assumed that I would just claim the $600 recovery rebate on my taxes, which I did yesterday.

I looked on my USPS informed delivery and checked my get my payment tool to see that I have a stimulus check coming in the mail. Since I already e-filed yesterday, I can't change my return right now. Do I just destroy the check or is there something extra I should do like contacting the IRS and letting them know?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Claimed $600 Recovery Rebate when I filed taxes yesterday, but just got my stimulus check in the mail. What do I do? Do I not cash the check and destroy it? Amend? Help!

Don't cash the check and definitely don't destroy it.

The IRS has not addressed this yet. They will not open until February 12 and at that time they will start to see situations like yours. You would not be able to amend until that time and in the meantime, they may establish a guideline. 

Information is continuing to be updated. Please see this LINK for more information.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Don't cash the check and definitely don't destroy it.

The IRS has not addressed this yet. They will not open until February 12 and at that time they will start to see situations like yours. You would not be able to amend until that time and in the meantime, they may establish a guideline. 

Information is continuing to be updated. Please see this LINK for more information.

aujie091
Returning Member

Same mine was direct deposit.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I would suggest sending it back to the IRS with note explaining that you reported the missing payment in Turbo tax and expect a credit.

Please review this IRS link and read the section entitled When returning a paper check that was not cashed or deposited taxpayers should: In that section is an IRS link that will tell you the nearest IRS location to mail the check to.

[Edited 02-11-2021|11:56AM  PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Followed this thread for what to do and ended up getting screwed. Voided the check and sent it back to the approproate address and then my refund ended up getting changed by the IRS because they already sent out the check. So now Ive received no second stimulus at all because the IRS couldnt just properly release informatino to begin with. Im betting I'll never get the $600 at this point. 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

The IRS only issued official guidance March 1, 2021 regarding this scenario. Many taxpayers are in the same predicament.

You can get your money, and should not be penalized for trying to do the right thing in a timely manner. For instructions on how to proceed, see:

Economic Impact Payment Information Center — Topic F: Payment Issued but Lost, Stolen, Destroyed or ...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies