turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can the TurboTax software be updated to check the names on W2's against the person they are assigned to? This caused a $7k error on my return that had to be amended.

On the W2 entry page, there is a dropdown menu to select which person the W2 is for. This is a very easy thing for a human to do incorrectly or gloss over. The Turbotax software should be easily able to check the name on the W2 and assign it to the correct person. At the very least, it should be checked by the error checker that runs right before submitting the return. This easy-to-catch mistake can result in thousands of dollars in Social Security taxes being incorrectly refunded.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can the TurboTax software be updated to check the names on W2's against the person they are assigned to? This caused a $7k error on my return that had to be amended.

And how can TT do that, since it has no way to "see" the W-2 that you are entering?

Let me be more specific:

1. The TT W2 entry page has a field for "Name".

2. Separately, the TT W2 entry page has a "who's W2 is this?" dropdown box where you can select one of the two spouses for a joint return.

In most circumstances, the dropdown menu is unnecessary. The user should not need to select which spouse the tax return belongs to with a dropdown menu. TT should be able to simply look at the "name" field in the W2 and match it to the correct spouse.

The "name" field and the "who's return is this" dropdown menu are not checked against each other. i.e. the user can correctly enter the name from their W2, and then accidentally enter the wrong spouse (or just miss) the "who's W2 is this?" dropdown menu. 

Incorrectly assigning a W2 to the wrong person can lead to any number of problems.

The TT error-checking software does not detect this as a problem, but it should. It would be a very easy thing to implement.

Manage cookies