Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I track my return more in depth? Are there ways I can see specifically see where and when my return will be? Can I have an exact date of when I will get my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I track my return more in depth? Are there ways I can see specifically see where and when my return will be? Can I have an exact date of when I will get my return?

The IRS tracking is the most specific, but even then it does to provide exact dates, only estimates.

For Tracking click: Track My Refund or see: Refund Status for more information. 

The general timeline of e-filed returns is: Transmission > Receipt/Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

After acceptance, but before processing the status may not be available. If  you contact the government or try look up your refund status while your return is still pending, don't be surprised if they tell you "no record found." This is normal; until the government starts reviewing and processing your return, they won't have any record of it.   

The IRS started processing returns later than in prior years and as such has a backlog to work through. They also just recently started processing returns claiming EIC and/or ACTC.

During processing, the government reviews your refund. During the review process, they look for math errors on your return (extremely rare in TurboTax) and they also check if you owe back taxes, unpaid child support, or other debts.

If they need to make any corrections, they may offset (reduce) your refund. In some cases, the correction might even increase your refund.

Once that part's done, the government approves your refund, which means it's ready to be deposited or sent.  At that point the IRS site will update with a direct deposit date.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

The IRS tracking is the most specific, but even then it does to provide exact dates, only estimates.

For Tracking click: Track My Refund or see: Refund Status for more information. 

The general timeline of e-filed returns is: Transmission > Receipt/Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

After acceptance, but before processing the status may not be available. If  you contact the government or try look up your refund status while your return is still pending, don't be surprised if they tell you "no record found." This is normal; until the government starts reviewing and processing your return, they won't have any record of it.   

The IRS started processing returns later than in prior years and as such has a backlog to work through. They also just recently started processing returns claiming EIC and/or ACTC.

During processing, the government reviews your refund. During the review process, they look for math errors on your return (extremely rare in TurboTax) and they also check if you owe back taxes, unpaid child support, or other debts.

If they need to make any corrections, they may offset (reduce) your refund. In some cases, the correction might even increase your refund.

Once that part's done, the government approves your refund, which means it's ready to be deposited or sent.  At that point the IRS site will update with a direct deposit date.

Dump_Truck696
Returning Member

When it asks for refund amount when I try to track my federal return, is it just asking for the whole dollar amount for the federal portion of my return or my entire refund both state and federal?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

When you are tracking your federal return, you will enter in only your refund amount minus any TurboTax fees.

If you need any further assistance, please respond here in this thread.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dump_Truck696
Returning Member

I don't have any turbotax fees, I chose the free filing, but I'm still unclear on which number to use, should I put in the whole dollar amount for just my federal refund? Or the whole dollar amount for both state and federal? When I use track my refund on irs website

@Dump_Truck696 wrote:

I don't have any turbotax fees, I chose the free filing, but I'm still unclear on which number to use, should I put in the whole dollar amount for just my federal refund? Or the whole dollar amount for both state and federal? When I use track my refund on irs website

You enter your Social Security number, your Filing Status and whole dollar amount of the federal tax refund that is shown on your 2020 federal tax return.

The federal tax refund is on the Form 1040 Line 34

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

you should find some other things to pass the time, maybe crossword puzzles.

Right now, the IRS refund status is broken. it is not updating for many filers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies