Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Larrd

Can I safely uninstall or delete older versions of TurboTax to regain space on my computer? What are the downsides? What's the best way to do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I safely uninstall or delete older versions of TurboTax to regain space on my computer? What are the downsides? What's the best way to do this?

You can uninstall prior desktop versions but if you want to open a previous return to work on it you would need that program to open it. If you have a printed or pdf copy that wouldn’t be a concern if you just wanted to see the return. 

You can uninstall prior desktop versions but if you want to open a previous return to work on it you would need that program to open it. If you have a printed or pdf copy that wouldn’t be a concern if you just wanted to see the return. You can use the Windows uninstall if you have a PC. 

The downside is that if you ever want to reinstall a prior version (such as to view a tax file or look at your worksheets and supporting information), Turbotax versions more than 3 years old are not supported.  Your install from CD would be the pre-season version, without the final forms, and no updates or state modules will be available for download.  Before deleting older versions of the program, you may want to open your tax file, and either print or save to PDF, "all forms and worksheets", so you can review the detail worksheets later if needed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies