turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I amend my 2019 taxes to being independent to receive stimulus check I originally filed as a dependent, I believed someone could claim me already received a refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Can I amend my 2019 taxes to being independent to receive stimulus check I originally filed as a dependent, I believed someone could claim me already received a refund?

You can amend to fix this, but if your parents (or someone else) were eligible to claim you but didn't claim you, you are still required to check the box on your return that indicates that you were eligible to be claimed on someone else's return. Below are the criteria to be claimed as a dependent:

There are two types of dependents, each subject to different rules:

• A qualifying child
  • A qualifying relative

For both types of dependents, you’ll need to answer the following questions to determine if you can claim them.

Dependent taxpayer test: The taxpayer, or spouse of the taxpayer if filing jointly, cannot be eligible to be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return.

Married Filing Jointly test: If you file a joint return with your spouse, you cannot be treated as a dependent. (This rule does not apply if the joint return was filed only as a claim for refund and no tax liability would exist for either spouse if they had filed separate returns).

Citizen or resident test: The person claimed as a dependent must be either a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, U.S. resident alien, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. An adopted child that lived with the taxpayer all year passes this test if the taxpayer is a U.S. citizen or U.S. national.

Qualifying Child

In addition to the above, you must be able to answer "yes" to all of the following questions to claim an exemption for your child.

Relationship test: The child must be the taxpayer’s son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half brother, half sister, or a descendant of any of these, such as the taxpayer’s grandchild, niece, or nephew.

Residency test: The child must have lived with the taxpayer for more than half of 2019.

• Temporary absences (e.g., school, vacation, business, medical care, military services, or detention in a juvenile facility) are considered as time living with the taxpayer.
  • Exceptions apply under the rules for children of divorced or separated parents. See IRS Publication 501 for details.

Age test: The child must be

• Under age 19 at the end of the tax year and younger than the taxpayer (or spouse), or

• Under age 24 at the end of 2019, a full-time student for any part of five calendar months during the tax year, and younger than the taxpayer (or spouse), or

Permanently and totally disabled at any age

Support Test: The child cannot have provided more than 1/2 of his/her own support during the tax year. Welfare, TANF, and scholarships received by the child are not considered support.

Qualifying Relative

Relationship or Member of Household Test: To be considered a qualifying relative, a person must be:

• A son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, or a descendant of any of these
  • A brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendant of any of these
  • A father, mother, or an ancestor or sibling of them (does not include foster parents)
  • A stepbrother, stepsister, stepfather, stepmother, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, or
  • Any other person (other than the spouse) who lived with the taxpayer all year as a member of the taxpayer's household as long at the relationship did not violate local law. Exceptions: Temporary absences for special circumstances such as school, vacation, business, medical care, military service, or incarceration count as time lived in the home. Also, the taxpayer's mother or father does not have to live with the taxpayer as long as the taxpayer is able to claim the parent as a dependent and paid more than half the cost of keeping up the parent's main home (including nursing homes) for the entire year. 

Not a Qualifying Child Test: The relative cannot be a qualifying child of any other taxpayer for the year.

Gross Income Test: The relative's gross income must be less than $4200 for the year. Gross income is all income that is not tax-exempt. Examples of gross income include taxable Social Security benefits, taxable unemployment compensation, and certain scholarships and fellowships (i.e., monies used to pay higher education expenses other than tuition, fees, supplies, books, and course-required equipment).

Support Test: The taxpayer must have provided over 1/2 of the relative's support during the year. This test does not apply to persons who qualify as dependents under the children of divorced or separated parents rule and multiple support agreements.

After reviewing this information, if you find that you did not qualify to be claimed as a dependent, you can amend your return to correct this. Here's how to amend:

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
    • If you only see the option to amend 2018 or earlier, it's because you can't amend an unfiled 2019 return. Instead, just select Pick up where you left off, make your changes, and disregard the rest of these instructions.
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
  5. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return, as amendments can't be e-filed.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed my taxes as dependent in error (since I was dependent in 2018 and forgot to update that on my turbo tax profile), so I filed an amended 2020 tax return with an independent status and added my 1098-T information. I'm wondering if the IRS will acknowledge my amended return and send me a stimulus check or if I will have to wait and claim it on my 2020 fax return?

^^correction in my previous question:  I filed an amended 2019 tax return

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

No, you will not receive an economic impact payment after amending your return. If eligible, you will claim it on your 202 tax return when you file in 2021.

@Josh201

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JPastore1987
Returning Member

i think the clamed me as a dependent y i was un there what shouykd iu do 

your spelling makes the question hard to understand.

If someone else CAN claim you (whether they did or not is immaterial), you are NOT eligible for the stimulus.

If someone else CAN'T claim you, you ARE eligible for the stimulus.

does that help? 

Hello there, so while your answer did indeed help me sort out my problem a little bit, I still have an individualized problem that I need help with! So when I filed in late April for my 2019 taxes, the IRS rejected my refund because I claimed myself as independent ( this was recently a new status for me because my father claimed me as his dependent on his 2019, but due to unfortunate circumstances had passed away in early April 2019. 
   SO my problem being, I did not receive my stimulus payment due to this and I honestly really needed it and still need it. I am my fathers only beneficiary on his will, but my aunt is the executor and has control of everything. She closed his old bank accounts, in which I’m sure would of been the account on his taxes so I have no idea if he did actually receive anything or not but my aunt said that he did not.  I do know that I received a letter from Trump stating that he had been approved for the stimulus but that was the only info on it. 
What should I DO?

Thank you for your time and I hope I find the help I am desperately needing! 

Sorry for your loss of you dad

first, if you dad passed away in 2019 his estate would not have received anything and if it did, the IRS required it to be returned....so your Aunt is correct. 

Now on to you... 

First, CAN anyone else claim you in 2020? you didn't state your age, who you are staying with, whether you work or not, etc, which can make a difference in whether someone CAN claim you.  IF someone CAN claim you in 2020, you are not eligible for the stimulus.

But let's assume for the moment, no one CAN claim you, here is what has to happen.

In the end, the stimulus is really about the 2020 tax return - your filing status, your income and any of YOUR dependents.  Nothing about 2018 or 2019 matters. 

On the 2020 tax return, it will calculate what you are eligible for (probably $1800), then it will subtract what you have already received ($-0-) and will provide a tax credit on LINE 30 of the tax return, which has the effect of increasing your refund by $1800 (or reducing what you owe)

So can you confirm what your situation is (in school?, age?, income over or below $4300? who is paying most of your support (rent, utilities, etc.) and if you are not a dependent of some one else, all you have to do is file a 2020 tax return

make sense?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies