Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jfriebs

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can I add a direct deposit account to my refund after filed and accepted already?

I originally filed to receive a paper check because I didn’t have my account and routing number on hand. I just got it. My return was filed electronically, rejected (typo), electronically filed a

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can I add a direct deposit account to my refund after filed and accepted already?

@jfriebs  Once your tax return has been filed/submitted to IRS and accepted the only way to make any changes is to do a - "amended return" which can only be done after you have receive your refund. So no unfortunately you won't be able to change that.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@jfriebs

No, once your return has been accepted (or mailed), it's too late to add direct deposit bank account information. The government will mail you a check. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The government stimulus website now states that they are working with turbo tax to have low income non tax filing people get on to enter their direct deposit info but there is no mention of people who have ALREADY filed their 2019 returns and either received a check already and NOW have a checking account they want to add or those who got direct deposit but have closed or changed that account and want to add the new info so they don't have to wait for a check. How hard is it for turbo tax to simply add a spot for those of us who already filed with them and either didn't have a bank account when we filed or had a different one then to go in and add one or change their existing information ? There has to be a way to help us. 

Especially those of us who have already received our refund in the mail so nothing is going to cross paths or get double deposited or sent both ways or anything like that. The computer system would know when we added our direct deposit info if we have already been sent our refund or not and except the direct deposit info accordingly. It wouldn't be that hard to program this. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

It is being worked on. 

Right now, the IRS has allowed TurboTax to facilitate the ability for non-filers to file a zero return. 

The personal information is still transmitted on a tax return. 

TurboTax is still not collecting your personal data, it is only entered on a tax return. 

The IRS is working on a program for people like yourself that want to "update" their banking information and/or address. 

Please be patient while we all try to do our part. 

Below is a link for the latest from the IRS: 

IRS link

We have filed already and received our refund in the mail. We now have a checking account so can I do an amended return and change nothing but the direct deposit information ??

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

No, I don't think it's advisable to do an amendment. For one, changing banking information is not a reason to amend a return. Also, note that the amended return will have to be be mailed in and will take up to 12 weeks to be processed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies