Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California Tax Penalty

I'm paying my CA taxes by Dec 15th and having a hard time figuring out the penalty and interest I owe the state. The FTP is confusing since it says 5% + 0.5% for each month it's late, but I also noticed some websites saying interest is owed on the money. 

If I owe $1,000, and I'm paying my 2018 taxes on 12/15/2019, how much total should I pay?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

California Tax Penalty

I would suggest making a payment for the balance due and waiting for a bill for any penalty and interest.     It's almost impossible to calculate the exact amount of penalty and interest because that depends on the date CA receives the payment. 

California Tax Penalty

My turbo Tax for 2020 is completed.  A penalty of $16.00 is due.  Will I receive a bill in the US mail to enable me to pay; or how can I send payment to FTB?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

California Tax Penalty

When you filed your California state tax return, your tax payment options should have been displayed. You can also pay your tax bill directly on the California FTB website here.

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for additional information: What are my options for getting my state refund or for paying any state taxes I owe? 

@14JesseMar7old 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies