Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Brokerage Sent Updated 1099; Can I Import for Filing an Amended Return?

As question in subject line implies, I need to file an amended return based on changes in reporting of my brokerage (consolidated) 1099, specifically dividend income.  The only "hit" returned by search here is a thread that is unclear and got derailed a bit.  So...does Turbotax (online ) allow for the (re)importing of an updated tax form and if so, how/where?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling that importing the corrected 1099 won't work. I wouldn't even try, because it might cause problems.

Importing 1099 information from a brokerage depends on the brokerage creating a special import file that TurboTax can access. We don't know if the brokerage will even do that for the corrected 1099. Even if they do update the import file, trying to import again might import everything in the consolidated 1099, not just the corrected dividends. That would really make a big mess of your tax return. That's why I recommend that you not even try it. There's no good way to undo an import. If the only change is in the dividends (the 1099-DIV section of the consolidated 1099), making the changes by hand should be simple and only take a minute or two.

If you were using the Desktop installed program you could copy your return and try in the copy.  After starting the amended return you could try deleting the original imported 1099 then import the new one.  But if it is mostly dividends it shouldn’t be too hard to just manually change the amounts after starting the amended return. 

What post was unclear?  Where are you getting stuck?

@rjs Thanks...that was how I was leaning.  I was also thinking that the process might include deleting current from entirely and then re-importing, but that about the same effort as typing/correcting the handful of corrections.

More importantly, I was just informed by the TT-Bot that I have leveled-up to a "3"!!  Look upon my works, ye might, and despair :--)

@VolvoGirlNope, using online version.  There was an older thread that was suggested by TT-Bot that was maybe relevant, but it wasn't...that's what I was referring to.  Thanks for the thoughts :--)

Wow...what a horrible process/experience doing amended return with Torbotax was.  Like children programmed it...disgraceful.  Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth...Hawk Tuah!...there, that's better.

were you able to enter the needed revisions and obtain a correct 1040-X?

Were you able to e-File it?

@mblatz01 

@fanfare: 1) yes; and 2) I don't know...that's what I am hoping TT did correctly for me.  I had to put in a lot of time and repeated effort to get to a number that seemed right and that I felt comfortable submitting.  If not correct I guess I'll find out the hard way

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies