Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending 2020 Return

I spoke to IRS. They said I should be able to file my IRS Amended return to correct my filing status electronically.

When I attempt to correct the issue of the defaulted "SINGLE" on your software to "HOH"  I am not able to do so.  

This is not what the IRS states. They advised I could file electronically even change of filing status.  This is ridiculous. The issue with my return was due to your software changing HOH I had selected to Single when I have a qualified dependent.  I should be able to file amendment electronically since the mail is AWFUL!!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Amending 2020 Return

Unfortunately, the IRS agent provided you the wrong advice. 

See: IRS Amended Return Frequently Asked Questions which includes this question and answer: 

What are some reasons that an Amended Return cannot be filed electronically?

Amended Returns must be filed by paper for the following reasons:

1. Only Tax Year 2019 and 2020 1040 and 1040-SR returns can be amended electronically at this time. Amended Returns for any other tax years or tax types must be filed by paper.
  2. There must be a record of an "original" electronically filed return for Tax Year 2019 or Tax Year 2020. If the original Tax Year 2019 or Tax Year 2020 return was filed by paper, it must be amended by paper.
  3. If the Primary Social Security number is different from the one provided on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper.
  4. If the Spouse's Social Security number (if applicable) is different from the one provided on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper.
  5. If the Filing Status differs from the Filing Status on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper.

Secondly, if TurboTax is changing your filing status from Head of Household to Single, then there may be an issue with whether your situation meets the rules to claim Head of Household. For more information, see: Do I qualify for Head of Household in 2020.

@slp_921

Amending 2020 Return

They should allow electronic transmittal given the horrible delivery times of the USPS.

norb

Amending 2020 Return

Wrong...  IRS changed policy. 

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/electronic-filing-e-file/amended-returns/amended-returns

I hope turbotax for 2020 updates so that i can file amended return.  norbert jay    [email address removed]

\\// n

Amending 2020 Return

Ok ... lets put it this way ... TT will not allow the efiling of amended returns once the tax year has ended.  So if you want to efile a 2020 amended return you can't.  Some professional return preparers can (like me) but not DIY programs like TT.  So all you can do is print, ink sign and mail it in.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies