Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended return problem

I paid an underpayment penalty of $27 on my 2019 return, filed in February. Later I went back to TT and adjusted the date of my first tax payment, which was taken from an RMD in January 2019. This removed the penalty of $27. I did this BEFORE I decided I wanted to file an amended return, bu AFTER filing my original return. Now I am trying to file the amended return, and TT thinks the correction I made was already part of the original return. In other words, TT says I am not owed the $27!  I cannot see how I can correct this.

What can I do so that I can file the amended return and recover the $27?

PS. I am unhappy that TT never asked me about the penalty before I filed the first time. In other years it had, but not this time!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Amended return problem

What process did you use to change the return after filing?  You might try the same process to change it back.  

If using an online version you might try "Add a State" to change the return back to it's original form. Exit the program and then sign back in and "Amend" to make the correction and create a 1040X.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Amended return problem

Process I used to modify the return:

I searched under topics for 'Underpayment Penalty' and followed the interview questions which removed the penalty. I have returned to this, and I cannot (as far as I can see) get the penalty to re-appear as it was on the return I filed. 

Use online TT:

I do not use the online application. I use Premier on a Mac, OS10.14.6

Other

When I try to file an amended return, TT does not recognize the the amended return is different from the one I filed originally. It tells me that I am not due any additional refund. 

So...thanks for your reply, but no resolution so far.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Amended return problem

Let's see if we can get your return back to where it was. Let's try this:

• Turn off the amend switch which is causing TurboTax to think that nothing has changed on your amendment (see links below)
  • Then go and change the payment date back to what it was originally
  • Save and close the return
  • Then re-open the return and tell TurboTax you want to amend
  • Now see if the 1040X is showing the $27 difference.

I can't guarantee that this will work, but it is worth a shot.

CD/download:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-cancel-or-undo-an-amended-return-in-the-tur...

Online:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-cancel-or-undo-an-amended-return-in-turbota...

Amended return problem

Hi Bill,

I had already turned off the amend switch. However, I went to the Forms View, found Form 2210, and removed the information that shows the withholding happening in 1Q2019. This restored  the 2019 return as I filed it. The  $27 penalty showed in Form 1040. I saved the return and closed TT.

I launched TT again, told it I wanted to file an amendment. I selected Underpayment Penalty from the list, answered the interview questions, and modified the withholding to show it took place in 1Q2019. Then I said I was DONE. As I moved through the final questions, TT informed me that there was no difference between the two returns, and that I was not due anything. 

NOTE: The $$ amount of my OVERPAYMENT is the same on both returns. What is different in the amended return is that the $27 penalty is no longer deducted from my refund. In other words, it appears that even though TT says there is no difference, the IRS should recognize that they sent me $27 less than I was due. 

What do you think?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Amended return problem

You can still print and file the amended return, Form 1040X. Amended returns cannot be electronically filed, so as long as the difference appears on lines 21 & 22, you may print and mail the amended return for IRS processing. Have you verified that the $27 is showing as an additional amount to be refunded to you on the physical copy of Form 1040X?

Amended return problem

No, the physical copy of 1040X does not show $27 owed to me. Lines 21 and 22 of the 1040X are both blank.

The only way to see the $27 difference is by comparing the original return to the amended return.

In the original 1040, line 24 (Estimated Tax Penalty) is $27; in the amended 1040, line 24 is blank.

So, there is still something wrong with the amended return.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Amended return problem

Since the penalty is not part of the tax calculation on the original return, it will not show on the amended return. However, the IRS will refund the penalty when they re-calculate the return based on your changes. You can include a memo to them along with the amended return and a copy of the original return to make sure it is no overlooked.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies