Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended return not showing up

Around mid December 2023, I mailed my 2022 amended tax return.  I went to the website to check.  

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

It says nothing. It’s been almost 3 months.  Wouldn’t it have said received and processing by now? Anything I can do to rule out it is lost?  And send in another return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

No, do not send in another amended return.  That might add more confusion and delay.  It takes a while to process mailed-in returns.  You can create an online account at the IRS which will give you more information about the status of all of your IRS accounts.

IRS Online Account

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How is my link to check for amended return going to show anything different than signing up for IRS account?  If it’s not there, it’s not there.

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

It can take a long time to process an amended return. 12-16 weeks on average. Give it some more time.

@PaulaM i just checked online.  Nothing.  Since mid December 2023 to now is about 14 weeks.  It’s getting pretty close to the 16 weeks already and still nothing in the system.  At what point should I send another amended return?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Don't resend an amended return. That can cause more mistakes. You must give it some time. 12-16 weeks is an average not a hard timeline. I wouldn't check again until after the current filing period has passed. So after 4/15/24, then check and/or call. 

I just checked the online system and it says there is no record.  If it was received, it should at least say something along the lines of received and processing or something.  I tried calling the number but could not connect to someone live.  I think now is the time to send another version.  December to April is 4 months.  Let's say I resend one, they receive it.  What happens if the someone find the original one.  Will they know that the new one was processed and refund is sent?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You will need to contact the IRS for information. It might be easiest to set up an account with them.

IRS Individual Online Account  

• Taxpayers with a Social Security number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number can create or access their IRS Individual Online Account to get information they need to file their return.
  • With an IRS Individual Online Account, people can:
  • View balance owed, payment history and schedule payments.
  • Cancel scheduled payments – new feature for 2024.
  • Get transcripts.
  • View or create payment plans.
  • See digital copies of some IRS notices.
  • View key data from their most recently filed tax return, including adjusted gross income.
  • Validate bank accounts and save multiple accounts, eliminating the need to re-enter bank account information every time they make a payment.
  • View, approve and electronically sign power of attorney and tax information authorizations from their tax professional. 

@CatinaT1 why do I need to create an online irs account?  I have already checked the “where is my amended refund” link and plugged in my information.  It does not have any information about the amended return received after almost 4.5 months.  They probably never got it,  so I’m  going to send in another one.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I would create an account in case the information you are entering in Where's My Amended Return is not pulling your amendment accurately.  By creating an account you would see for certain if the return has been received or not.

@CatinaT1 Created IRS accounts and logged in.  Under Account Home and Tax Records, it shows 2023 Return Summary, which I am aware of.  It completely skips 2022.  It does not show 2022 return or 2022 amended return.  It does however, show 2021 but Advance Child Tax Credit Payments Information but not 2021 return itself.  It does not show any other tax year.  Is it only supposed to show 2023?  I thought it was supposed to give a history of all years filed.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Yes. It should give you all history. I would call the IRS at 800-829-1040.

@CatinaT1 Too many callers.  Asked me to call tomorrow.  It’s not in the where is my amended return system nor is it in the IRS account history.  I will mail another one in.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies