turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended Return is not processed yet

Dear Community!

By the mistake, I had filed 1040 online for the year 2019 when I supposed to file 1040NR. After that, I filed the amended Return 1040X with 1040NR and sent it to IRS on April 15. However, at the time I don't the any information about my amended return in "Where's my amended return?". I don't even know if it is reached there, because I didn't send by USPS and didn't have the tracking number. I assume it is, because nothing sent me back.

The questions are:

1) Should I pay for 1040X (1040NR) if there is no information yet in "Where's my amended return?"?

2) How long should I wait approximately to know that they started to receive? And if there is no information in that case, what should I do?

3) Might I have any penalties for the late payment?

With regards,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you owe tax on the amended return, you should pay it now. Do not wait until your amended return has been processed. The sooner you pay, the less the penalties will be.

It will be a long time before your amended return is processed or any status information is available. The IRS processing centers were closed for several months because of the Covid-19 pandemic, and they did not process any mailed tax returns, including amended returns. They didn't even open the mail that they received. The unopened mail is sitting in large trailers parked outside the IRS processing centers. A few weeks ago an IRS spokesperson said they had about 11 million pieces of unopened mail. They are just now starting to open the mail and process the mailed tax returns, but they have reduced staff and a huge backlog. There is nothing you can do but wait.

@rjsHow should I pay for my amended return? I cannot register to the Direct Pay. Is it possible to pay by Pay1040.com ?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You should be able to pay with Pay1040.com, but they charge a fee. You can also mail a check (in U.S. dollars) with Form 1040-V payment voucher. (Checks are mailed to a different address and will be processed promptly.)

If you mail a check, make it payable to "United
States Treasury." On the check write "Amended 2019 Form 1040-NR" and your Social Security number or ITIN. Mail the check and Form 1040-V to the following address.

Internal Revenue Service
PO Box 1303
Charlotte, NC 28201-1303
USA

@rjsThanks for the answer!

More questions:

1) I want to pay online, because I can be ensure that the value is paid. But if the return is started to process, will they know that the money that I owe is paid?

2) Also, should I sent the CARES Act money back if they have not processed my return yet? And should I sent it as the check (the method you have provided above)?

3) May I have the problems if

a) I have not provided the incomes properly in my previous 1040 in the case if they have not processed my return yet (I know that the system can check some returns) ;

b) I don't sent the CARES Act money back? ;

4) How much should I pay in this moment if the owe is 332$ ? I am the individual.

And additionally (offtopic): If the mail is wrong, is it sent back to the sent address in the USA?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@ulvi95 wrote:

1) I want to pay online, because I can be ensure that the value is paid. But if the return is started to process, will they know that the money that I owe is paid?

Yes, they will know. It's not a problem.

2) Also, should I sent the CARES Act money back if they have not processed my return yet? And should I sent it as the check (the method you have provided above)?

Do you mean the so-called "stimulus payment" or Economic Impact Payment? There is no legal obligation to send it back, even if the payment was incorrect.

@ulvi95 wrote:

3) May I have the problems if

a) I have not provided the incomes properly in my previous 1040 in the case if they have not processed my return yet (I know that the system can check some returns) ;

As long as your amended 1040-NR is correct there should be no problems.

b) I don't sent the CARES Act money back? ;

Not a problem.

4) How much should I pay in this moment if the owe is 332$ ? I am the individual.

You should pay the full amount that you owe.

If the mail is wrong, is it sent back to the sent address in the USA?

I don't understand what you mean by "the mail is wrong." If you send the mail to an invalid address, the Postal Service will send it back to the return address that you put on the envelope (in the top left corner). If the IRS needs to contact you, they will send a notice to the address on your tax return.

@rjs Thanks for the answers again!

If you send the mail to an invalid address, the Postal Service will send it back to the return address that you put on the envelope (in the top left corner).

Yes, my mean was about this. I have not received any letters back, so I assume that all is right.

You should pay the full amount that you owe.

At the moment, I have not paid anything. Should I pay any penalty together with 332$? Or just the 332$ only?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@ulvi95 wrote:

Should I pay any penalty together with 332$? Or just the 332$ only?

Just pay the $332. Calculating the penalty is complicated. The IRS will send you a bill for the penalty, if any. Don't worry if you don't get a bill. If the amount is small, they might not bother.

Dear Community!

As you have suggested, I paid for my tax return in July. However, at the moment of December 9 2020, I still cannot see my amended return in "Where's my amended return?".

My question is:

1) What are the news regarding the processing?

2) Has someone with the his/her amended return as processed?

3) What should be done from my side? And when should I expect the processing of amended return?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I have nothing to add to what I said in my first reply above. I have no new information. The IRS does not publish information about their progress in working through the backlog, or how long it is taking to process mailed tax returns. There is really nothing you can do but continue to wait. You can check "Where's my amended return?" every few weeks to see if your return shows up. When the IRS does process your return, they will send you a letter.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies