Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lzcheetah

Amended Return Glitch - Asking for prior year payment date

I am trying to file an amended 2021 return to add a 1099-R, and after selecting to e-file it is asking me to "Correct Your Payment Date" for the original 2021 taxes owed.  It says it must be a date in 2022, but even if I enter a valid date it keeps coming back to it as an error.  My only other option would be to file by mail which I really do not want to do.  Is there a fix for this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

A 2021 amended tax return using TurboTax cannot be e-filed.  In the File section of the program you need to select File by Mail.

lzcheetah

It states that Federal can be e-filed, but state cannot.  The IRS confirms this:

Can I file my amended return electronically?

Yes. If you need to amend your 2020, 2021 or 2022 Forms 1040 or 1040-SR you can now file Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return electronically using available tax software products.

Additionally, amended Form 1040-NR and amended Form 1040-SS/PR can now be filed electronically for tax year 2021 and 2022.

Amended Return Frequently Asked Questions | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

@lzcheetah The personal editions of TurboTax can only e-file an amended tax return for the current tax year, 2022.  They cannot e-file any prior tax year amended return.  Those amended returns can only be printed and mailed.

Only the Intuit Professional editions, Lacerte, ProConnect and ProSeries, have the capability to e-file prior year amended returns.

lzcheetah

Gotcha.  So still a glitch, it shouldn't tell me that I can e-file 🙂  Thank you for the insight.

nlc3
Level 2

I've wasted hours trying to file an amended return for last year's return. TurboTax let me enter all my information but then gave me the error message about correcting the filing date. I called support and they could not explain what was wrong, only telling me to call IRS or pay big bucks for someone to do this for me. Also TurboTax would not let me print and file, only option provided was e-file which I now understand is not supported for prior year amended returns in my version to TurboTax. Very frustrated!

@nlc3 Which TurboTax program are you using to amend the 2021 tax return?  The TurboTax online web-based editions or the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions installed on a personal computer?

nlc3
Level 2

TurboTax online

nlc3
Level 2

Online deluxe

When I go to amend a 2021 tax return that was completed using the online editions, I get a message to download the 2021 tax file and then download TurboTax Desktop 2021 for Windows or Mac.

Did you not get this message when you clicked on Amend (change) 2021 return?

nlc3
Level 2

Just discovered that I can print my 2022 return in TurboTax and the amended returns are included in the printout. This makes things much easier. Only wish somehow I could have been told this so rather than discovering it after hours of effort to solve the problem.

nlc3
Level 2

Correction - I see the 1040-X form when I print the 2021 return in TurboTax.

nlc3
Level 2

Do not recall seeing a message to download the tax file or the TurboTax software

Yes, I had the same very frustrating issue.  Completed the amendment and before I could get to the "file" part, it asked for the date.  There was no acceptable date!!  Just went round and round.  Finally asked to print my "old" return, and, surprise, the 1040 X came up with the correct adjustments.  Not good!!  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies